Songs with awesome endings...

stormin1155

Hey Jude's coda always knocked me out. I also love the way that they just end I Want You / She's So Heavy... John told the engineer to "cut the tape there!" and that's what's on Abbey Road - snip! and it's done. Very unexpected (well, not anymore - I've heard it so many times I know where it's going to happen now) and sudden - it's a rude awakening after the hypnotic repetition of the main coda riff.

But I suspect you're more interested in songs with outro solos ala Hotel California... :idk:

• Members

The short guitar cadenza at the very end of "The End" from Abbey Road (after the last vocal bit) works for me.

I also like the slight variation of the main riff at the end of "Lay Down Stay Down" from Deep Purple's Burn album.

• Members

Abbey Road is most likely my favorite Beatles Album (so many good ones) and you're absolutely right about the power of the abrupt ending on I want you/ She's so heavy. That whole album is like a stream of consciousness/subconsciousness and that ending signifies the fact that the dream will come to an end.

• Members

I still like the ending to "Photograph" by Def Lappard. Right after Joe Elliott wails "I wanna' touch you" and the bass just explodes and Phil Collens goes into that melancholy outro to the end. I still get goose bumps when I hear that one.

Archived