which brand of super strat do you like best, jackson, charvel, ibanez, or kramer?

mbengs1

• Members

Today, many of the brands you mentioned are just names that have been sold and now make a bunch of garbage.

If I wanted a 1980s style guitar I probably would stick to my Kramer EE Pro. It's a really nice guitar, made in America and designed by Tom Anderson (and the styling reflects that). It's got an original Floyd Rose and the flame on the maple neck is on par with my older (read before they were mass produced) Fender Custom Shop guitars.

I think there are some really nice used guitars that fall into this category. USA made BC Rich and Kramer guitars are really nice. While the original BC Rich guitars are very expensive, some of the 80s USA and even the NJ models are very nice. Ibanez also made some really nice guitars when they were building them in Japan in the 70s and (more relevant to this discussion) the 80s/early 90s). The old RG models are really nice.

When Jackson was its own entity making American guitars they were great. I would probably think of those as being the top of the heap.

Bottom line, if I were looking for one of these I would look on the used market for a USA or Japan made guitar.

• Members

I have an RG570. My first electric. After a few broken Es and several complete string changes I blocked the wammy and stopped locking the nut. Solved the intonation hassles.

So all set up I proceeded for the next several years hating: the neck PU, the bridge PU, positions 2 and four, basically wondering what in the frox the middle PU was for (that railly thing is now a neck pickup in one of my Carvin bolts) and generally learning in spite of it all.

NOW I know I like Strats. Bridge single coils can rock as hard as buckers and noiseless solves all the headaches and 80% of the lust for singles.

If I had to get a SS these days it'd be an Anderson or Suhr.

• Members

Parker Maxxfly/Dragonfly.

• Light weight but sustains like my 8 lb faux LP
  • Comfortable contours, no pressure points - it's like wearing the guitar instead of holding it
  • Well balanced - take my hands off, and the guitar stays put, no neck dive, fall away from body or anything else
  • Great neck with 14" radius and 25.5" scale
  • Sperzel Locking Tuners, Graph Tech bridge and nut plus an almost straight string path from ball end to tuner keeps the guitar in tune better than my guitars without a whammy - sometimes still in tune from gig to gig
  • Ebony fretboard and hardened stainless steel frets make bending a breeze
  • Duncan pickups - great tone (coil tapping bridge pup)
  • Piezo under the bridge that you can play by itself or mix with the mags for some unique sounds
  • Master volume near picking hand, makes it easy to keep in balance with the rest of the band plus a master tone and a piezo mix pot
  • Made in the USA and the fit and finish are excellent

Since I got my Parker 3 years ago, I haven't had a single attack of GAS.

NN01_2Parkers.jpg

The one on the left is stock, the one on the right is a custom build with Duncan P-Rails and triple shot rings.

The color isn't right, bad photography skills or dull phone camera (or both), they are more honey colored.

Since I got my Parkers, my Gibson, Epiphone and ESP guitars are jealous - they never get played anymore. The DF524NS (on the left) is my at home practice guitar and the custom built DF522 NN (NN for Notes Norton - on the right) is my only gigging guitar.

The NN with the P-Rail/Triple Shot pickups gives me the choices of

• P90
  • Rail (think Strat)
  • Series Humbucker
  • Parallel Humbucker
  • plus Piezo either alone or mixed with the mags

It's the Swiss Army Knife of guitars - and I only need one axe to get all the sounds I want on the gig.

I can't say enough good things about the Parkers.

I'm spoiled.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Not a superstrat guy anymore, but back in the day, I played Kramers - an American Pacer and an ESP-made focus 6000. Both were great. I always liked Hamer's Diablo and Californian. I have been GASsing for a Parker Nitefly as of late, if that counts.

• Members
I have been GASsing for a Parker Nitefly as of late' date=' if that counts. [/quote']

Even though the headstock indicates so, the NiteFly isn't really a shredder's guitfiddle. The NiteFly models have a "normal" neck profile and thickness -- at least the few I've handled have been that way. The other more expensive Fly models with the radically thin bodies most definitely have a speedy neck that a shredder would enjoy.

• Members

The color isn't right, bad photography skills or dull phone camera (or both), they are more honey colored.

The problem is that your subjects are sitting in an afternoon shadow, so, the colour balance has shifted towards the blue (cool) end of the spectrum. The cure is to warm up the rendition by adding enough yellow so as to turn the fence pickets neutral grey, not blueish grey. The "honey" hue would then return to bodies.

• Members

The problem is that your subjects are sitting in an afternoon shadow, so, the colour balance has shifted towards the blue (cool) end of the spectrum. The cure is to warm up the rendition by adding enough yellow so as to turn the fence pickets neutral grey, not blueish grey. The "honey" hue would then return to bodies.

Thanks for the tip!!!

Archived