Guitar Deathmatch: Gibson Explorer vs Flying V vs Moderne

Phil O'Keefe

Guitar Deathmatch: Gibson Explorer vs Flying V vs Moderne  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Guitar Deathmatch: Gibson Explorer vs Flying V vs Moderne

• Gibson Explorer
    • Gibson Flying V
    • Gibson Moderne

Ted McCarty's futuristic oddballs from the late 1950s - the Explorer / Futura, the Flying V and the mythical Moderne. The Explorer and V have both been very popular and Gibson has released multiple versions of each over the years, while the Moderne probably never made it beyond prototypes in the late '50s, but has been commercially released since then; first in 1982. All three designs still look fresh and modern, even today - over a half century after their design and introduction. The question is, which of these three will win this week's Guitar Deathmatch? As always, that's up to you - so vote for your favorite now!

• Members

I never liked the way you couldn't rest a Flying V on your knee to play it. The design also removes wood from a critical place on the guitar where you need it most for tone: at the bridge. Also it's a ridiculous affair trying to add a Bigsby and a Floyd Rose looks goofy there. The "Moderne" looks ugly so I guess of the 3 I'd vote for Explorer.

• Members

I've never seen a Modern in person, and the only player I know of who played one was the dude in Japan, if I recall. He also had an RD.

The Flying V has that awesome thick yet brittle tone. I had a 70's MIJ copy made of Mahogony with sweet pickups, but sitting was a pain. The Explorer is better for sitting, and you can poke your eye out with it, so that's good. Tone wise... I mean, the Explorer has that Gibson sound, sort of like a larger SG tone, and the V has it's own vibe. If I had to pick between then, I'd go Explorer. I probably wouldn't be as cool as The Edge or James Hetfield if I played one, though.

• Members

I don't think there's much tonal differences between these if you had them all loaded with the same pups. The choice is purely aesthetic.

I think the V gets a bad rap for comfort by many who haven't owned one. They aren't that hard to play sitting if you put the right knee in the crotch with one tail fin above and below.

The Explorer is definitely not comfortable sitting in an arm chair. I did a pup change in one recently and noticed that discomfort while sitting in my living room. At least with a V you can get the one tail over the arm.

I haven't played a Modern. It looks to have a little better ergonomics but its still got a large fin that would be a problem in an arm chair. I'd never buy one though. That hatchet headstock just loops too oddball for my tastes. I mean if I got one cheap or donated to be I'm sure it would be a good player, it just the bent banana look wouldn't be something I'd go looking for.

• Members

I like Explorers. Vs are cool but I like the tone and the ergonomics of the Explorer better. I have the blonde Epi 58 Korina reissue, a great guitar. I'm always on the lookout for the matching V. But the price would have to be right. I got the Explorer for $300 with case and it was mint. I'd give the same for the matching V, just because:) even though I doubt I'd ever play it much.

I've never even seen a Moderne in person.

• Members

The Samick V I bought around Christmastime is the only guitar I've been playing with any regularity since then. I also put a GFS Wilkinson roller bridge and GFS REDactives in it. It didn't take long for me to get used to playing it sitting down, I was determined to learn how. D'Addario 11s feel great on it.

WilkinsonRollerBridgeV1_zpskjgtxyn2.jpg

StickersVBack2_zpswgxephrz.jpg

FlyingVFront_zpsp6zcdpx5.jpg

• Members

Make that two guys. I had an Explorer, liked it, but not enough to keep it. Always hated the V's.... maybe if I was 15 and into metal.... naaah, not even then. But the Modern, well,it's different. Played the epi version, and kinda dug it, the way it sat on the body fit. And the tones were usable. IF I see another, I will more than likely snatch it up.

• Members

"Twas just looking at a images of all 3 of these odd geetars. Apart from the strange headstock, the Moderne appears to be the most practical and sit or stand friendly of the bunch. The V is generally alright, unless you sit down. The back end of the Explorer is a huge waste of wood.

DSMDTAGH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

• Members

The first V I ever saw was in the hands of Lonnie Mack - Texas Blues/Rock player. Albert King played a V a lot too. It may be common for metal players to use a pointy guitar, but they weren't the first nor the only ones to do so.

Me? I prefer hollowbody archtops and strat shaped guitars.

Archived