Guitar Deathmatch: Fender Jazzmaster vs Jaguar vs Mustang

Phil O'Keefe

Guitar Deathmatch: Fender Jazzmaster vs Jaguar vs Mustang  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Guitar Deathmatch: Fender Jazzmaster vs Jaguar vs Mustang

• Fender Jazzmaster
    • Fender Jaguar
    • Fender Mustang

Surf's Up in this week's edition of Guitar Deathmatch, where, by request and for the first time, we're going to be pitting three models against each other.

Of the three models, Fender's Jazzmaster was first in 1958, and was a huge influence on the Jaguar (introduced in 1962), but even though they look similar, there are significant differences, including subtle differences in body shapes and dimensions, as well as overall scale length, some cosmetic differences, and of course the switching and pickups, The Mustang came along almost three years after the Jaguar in August of 1964. It shares the Jag's short 24" scale length (it was also offered with an optional 22.5" scale length neck), but the body, vibrato and pickups are all different. Originally conceived as a higher-end addition to Fender's student line, it was also the instrument of choice of many well known professional guitarists.

All three models were initially big with Surf music guitarists in the 60s, and later saw a resurgence that began in the 80s and 90s (and continues today); as prices for vintage Strats and Teles skyrocketed, vintage offset models were still available at reasonable prices and were embraced by savvy alt and grunge-rockers like Elvis Costello, Kurt Cobain. J Mascis, and the folks in Sonic Youth. In the right hands, Fender's "Offsets" (thus called due to their offset waist body design) can be powerful musical tools, but only one can win this week's Deathmatch, and that winner will be determined by you, so vote for your favorite now! :wave:

• Members

Oh, I don't know if I can pick. Of the three, I only currently own a Jaguar, but that hasn't always been the case and will probably not remain the case as both a JM and a Mustang (or perhaps a Duo Sonic) are on my GAS shortlist.

The Jazzmaster is probably the most ergonomic and arguably the most versatile of the three. It does quite a few sounds quite well, from spaghetti western to punk rock. A lot of people give the bridge design flack, but I think it works alright with the gauge of strings intended to be on it. Remember that these were intended to be jazz guitars and jazz guitarists favored heavier gauges. Either way, it's an easy fix if you want to move into a lower gauge, ya pansy. Also, many disregard the rhythm circuit. Again, I think this is mainly for the jazzers, but I've found some creative uses for it in the studio.

The Jaguar is a unique beast. Percussive, bell-like, it's perhaps over-engineered or ahead of its time, I don't know. People complain that it doesn't sustain. I'm guessing they don't own a Big Muff. The things just ooze coolness. Very handsome machines.

When I first played a Mustang, I hated it. I was like 14 and really into metal. I didn't get it at all. The last album I recorded, I used my bass player's '69 Mustang on probably half the songs. It sounds cool, but mostly it's just super fun to play. With the short scale and skinny yet chunky neck, you can get around really easily, and it has this great stripped down feel to it. The reissues don't have the same feel to them. It's not like the Jags or JM's where you can find a good MIJ and upgrade the electronics. The vintage ones are where it's at. Too bad they're all like $1200 and up for a decent example.

I am, for now, undecided. I'll sleep on it

• Members

My favorite would be a vintage Jazzmaster. I think its a better built and better sounding guitar, but there are many of the other two depending on the year that are killer guitars too.

I'm not sure how the current line plays or sounds. I highly doubt they are anything like vintage versions and since my only experience is with vintage I have to base my opinions on those.

The one jag I did own had the really old single coils which were really clean sounding. I really wasn't impressed with the instruments quality. It felt like a Squier build you'd find today. I did a bunch of repairs on them over the years, mostly fret work and because they were short scale getting good intonation and tuning was a beast. The pickups tone was very cool but the rest of the guitar just didn't get me there.

The mustangs are all over the place too. The guy in my first band had a 3 pickup version and back then I really disliked the sound he got. I think most of that was because we didn't play any music that required that sound. Humbuckers would drive tube amps and single coils wound up sounding ear piercing so I guess that stuck in my mind at first. Then I had a buddy who had a really good one and he had the right amp to make it sound great. He had the whammy and action set up really good and had some great fretwork done and that thing used to really sing.

I still like the Jazzmaster though. The controls on the old ones were really cool and the P90 type pickups sounded much thicker. They weren't exactly a rock in the beginning but not nearly as metallic sounding as the others.

• Members

They ARE all over the map - all of them. I've seen 60's JMs that are crap, and Squier JM's that are fine instruments. My Jag is a MIM CP, and yet as solid as the US Johnny Marr I originally went in to buy. My Mustang is an 80's MIJ, but has horrendous pickups to counter a neck that is among the best I've ever played. Too bad the short scale and spacing are tough for me; I always figured I'd swap out those pickups but never got around to it, and now I go to it for something completely different from what I first bought it for.

At the end of the day, I dig the Jazzmaster's larger size, crazy neck-pup sounds, and all the mystery you can drum up with all of that sympathetic string length behind the saddles.

Adding: that Modern Player Jag was originally an impulse buy I got because a) I wondered about having an open-grain mahogany guitar and didn't want to start with a Gibson; and b) the P90's sound ridiculous with pedals and small tube amps.

I don't play it often enough, but it has a nasally, throaty tone that is truly beautiful. Probably my most unfairly-neglected guitar.

I am, for now, undecided. I'll sleep on it

It really is hard to decide between these three... I'm leaning towards the Mustang, although in some ways I prefer the JM / Jag vibrato system. I definitely prefer the smaller / lighter / narrower body of the Mustang and Duo Sonic II.

• Members

I voted Jazzmaster. I was very tempted to go Mustang as I knew it would be the underdog and they are so cool! I decided on the Jazzmaster, as if I was forced to choose to play only one of the three as my only guitar, it would have to be the Jazzmaster.

I choose the Jaguar because after playing one I loved everything about it except the 24" scale.which is why I don't own one.

You could probably partscaster or mod a Jazzmaster in such a way as to make a very Jaguar-like guitar, but with a 25.5" scale length; use a Jazzmaster body and neck, but use Jag pickups, switches and hardware, etc.

• Members

You could probably partscaster or mod a Jazzmaster in such a way as to make a very Jaguar-like guitar, but with a 25.5" scale length; use a Jazzmaster body and neck, but use Jag pickups, switches and hardware, etc.

Theoretically that would work but I'm in no way up to wiring a Jag.

• Members

Then hire a tech to handle that part. It shouldn't cost all that much.

It's been a couple of years since I looked a Jag,.Back then all I had were 25.5" scale guitars so I bought something else, maybe if I tried another I would be OK with it. It's on my wish list but not at the top

• Members
This might be a good place to ask about Fender type singlecoils vs P90's Both are capable of great sound but are they equally susceptible to hum?

I've found that all of my single coils are susceptible to hum - P90's, DeArmonds, and Fender style.They're all pretty much vintage or vintage style pickups though. My Jag is a bit more subdued, perhaps due to all of the shielding and the pickup claws.

Archived