Any Tubescreamer fans?

Bucksstudent

• Members

Yesterday, I got my first Ibanez TS-9 and I am in love. According to my buddy at the local music shop, it's one of the early reissues, but I don't have any evidence to prove what era it's from. All I know is that it sounds fantastic. I had a Boss Super Overdrive for a while, which is similar, but it didn't have the brightness of the TS-9. In contrast, I also got a MXR Wylde overdrive and it's got a touch more drive to it with plenty of tonal control. However, the TS-9 is the one staying on my pedal board!

What I like about is how it gives a boost and the perfect amount of dirt to my Earthquaker Hoofreaper, but also on my Marshall's various drive channels. On the clean channel, it serves for a thick drive tone, but it obviously shines more as a traditional overdrive. I have the tone at midnight, so it's not super clear anyway. I haven't coaxed any SRV or Trey Anastasio tones from it, but it's still the best overdrive I've ever played through.

How about you guys?

• Members

While I owned seferal different Ibanez effects, I never owned a Tube Screamer....But I know Eric Johnson has used one since the Stone Age and the Man is all about tone...I man do I love that guy's tones...And his incredible playing.

The best fuzz tone I ever had was a Jordan Bosstone. Damn I wish I had a working one. It plugged right into the guitar jack and your cord into it.

But I'd like to check out a TS. Test drive it Buck. Hell you write a tune about every hour, post one on Soundcloud using it.

• Members
I know the purists will put me down but my Line 6 Dm4 gives me all the options I need. The screamer setting on that is great though.

Having said that, Happy new pedal day Bucks.

Hell I won't knock ya Knotty. My nephew hasn't used anything but amp sims for years and gets great results. I'm just an old guy that likes feeling the speakers move and the hardware rattle.

• Members
While I owned seferal different Ibanez effects, I never owned a Tube Screamer....But I know Eric Johnson has used one since the Stone Age and the Man is all about tone...I man do I love that guy's tones...And his incredible playing.

The best fuzz tone I ever had was a Jordan Bosstone. Damn I wish I had a working one. It plugged right into the guitar jack and your cord into it.

But I'd like to check out a TS. Test drive it Buck. Hell you write a tune about every hour, post one on Soundcloud using it.

I tried making a demo video, but I'm not in the best state of mind to do the pedal justice. I'll see what I can do in the coming days, though.

• Members

Love to see what all the hub bub is about with that pedal. Seems like everybody has a copy of that thing for a fraction of the cost. I know the BBE Green Screamer is a good one and I dig the hell outa my Delta Lab Tube Overdrive (which is also Green). Anyway, it's all the OD I need.

• Members

I have a 9 and DX from the 90s. If you can rock the rock, then any of those Tim/Klon/BadM things will shine. If you just play lines/toan like me then TSses are pretty limited. I use mine to EQ overly bassy tones. The DX gets more use as a tone device. I like options.

• Members

I've got an 808 and I like it. I use it mostly on my Gibson Falcon cause it's such a clean amp. On my EL84 crate V15 I usually just go with the natural distortion on the amp. Sometimes though...just to get real dirty...it makes an appearance.

I find the tone knob of the 808 to be a bit much. The vast majority of the time...when I use it, which is not much, I have the tube screamer's tone completely off. (bridge pickup) Seems to color the sound too much for my liking. Rolling the tone all the way off seems to preserve the tone of the original signal but gives a great creamy distortion.

• Members

I've never had a Tube screamer but do Have a SD-1 that I modded with the Monte Allum's mod years ago. It has the switch that changes from asymmetrical to symmetrical (tube screamerish) & find it does the job for me. It's the only overdrive on my board & (for me) is all I really need...

• Members

I've use a EMG PA2 for years and also have a Ibanez tank boost for my nonEMG equipped guitars. If you work with any boost and amp long enough you can get a really good sound.Best to dial in a good clean sound 1st than adjust your boost to taste . A good amp with headroom is best.Also you could get a great sound by just cranking up your amp but that's almost always way to LOUD.

• Members

I had an original for many years. I sold it off and bought another Ibanez drive pedal that was semi programmable. I cant even remember what model it was but you'd have to set all the drive parameters with soft switches ramping up the drive and tones in the display. I guess it wasn't a bad pedal but I totally hated the thing. You cant beat the simplicity of a TS for dialing up your tone.

I bought a couple of the Behringer Tube screamers which I still have. They use the same chip and do the same job. They have a drive somewhere between a TS9 and 808. They likely do that to avoid pirating issues. For the price they aren't bad at all. I know allot of people bash the Behringer stuff because the casings are plastic but I have a number of their pedals for many years and have had zero issues with them.

I use the TS and a Marshall Blues Breaker pedal together quite often. They work together like two sides of a coin. What one doesn't get the other does. Both are fantastic tube amp drive pedals.

TS gives me more of a driven fender tone with some nice mids and the BB gets me that clean biting edge with nice pinch harmonics the TS cant. The BB is voiced higher so you can kind of get a HB tone from one and more of a single tone from the other. Those two pedals and maybe a chorus and I can get buy with those playing a full gig.

• Members

I like both the 808 and the TS-9, but if I had to pick, I'd go with the grittier/punchier -9. I think they are just a basic in the tool box. The Bad Monkey comes close, but I prefer the more spatial sounding tone from the Ibanez pedal. I find it to be a great pedals for when it time to put in your little guitar solo fills, I'll boost the drive, level and lower the tone to dial off some treble and make the guitar sound more vocal.

My other go-to overdrive is the Fulltone OCD. And I just got a Timmy, which I'm also loving (with more tone shaping capabilities than I would have imagined). I've got some fuzz and distortion pedals, but it would be harder for me to rank those, but for overdrive pedals, the TS-9, OCD and Timmy are my Holy Grail(s) of OD tonez.

But yeah, if my TS-9 was lost, stolen, or run off with another band-mate, I'd get another. It's like the basic OD tool for me. But sometimes I need to take a break from that tone too.

Archived