Radio cutting out guitar solos

• Members

Nothing new...

While I love to hear a good guitar solo I think the majority of casual radio listeners could give a {censored} about one in the middle of a song. My guess is the programmers want to keep all songs about the same length to get their commercials in at a regular basis

Here's an interesting article on why most modern songs are at the 3-4 minute length...

http://www.wired.com/2014/07/why-are-songs-on-the-radio-about-the-same-length/

• Members

That's not the radio station. It's the record company. As mentioned, it's cut for time. This is nothing new. It's been going on forever. When I was a kid in the 80's I'd always hate listening to radio versions of my favorite songs cause they'd cut out parts.

One of my favorites as a kid......

Album version...

[YOUTUBE]3ZwQRCkKxNE[/YOUTUBE]

and radio/video version.....

[YOUTUBE]N6uEMOeDZsA[/YOUTUBE]

spot the differences....lol

• Members

One of the worst hackeries to a great song is Quiet Riot's 'Cum on feel the noize'. It's crawled back from obscurity, but at least the local classic rock station plays the full length version. but, the "we play anything" station plays the chopped radio version.

• Members

Funny thing is.....in case nobody listened to the Huey clips...

many times it's the artists themselves who cut.

Those two versions of I want a new drug were both recorded by the band. Not cut.

They'd rather just make two versions they are happy with than let someone else decide.

If you think it's "artists getting bullied by the big bad record company or radio stations"...well....get real. Artists know the game when they sign their contracts. They agree to all this stuff from the start.

• Members

I love, love, love satellite radio. As long as I can stay awake, I can drive and not loose signal. And that alone is worth the price of admission to me. The variety is an added bonus. But the sound quality can be just horrible. It varies from station to station, but when listening to almost any acoustic instrument it sounds like they word clocks are mismatched or something, especially on a station that they perceive as a "talk" station that doesn't require any significant bandwidth. It's almost un-listenable. I was looking for a local news report and happened upon a local public radio station on FM playing a symphony and the difference was huge. Unfortunately convenience on a ten hour drive is a bigger concern, at least in the car.

• Members
Quit listening to FM radio

Internet and Satelite is where it's at

Interesting note on this:

If you listen to the "genre" stations (say, for example, my beloved "Hair Nation" or "First Wave") you'll usually get the album cuts (sometimes you also get some of the odder club mixes on "First Wave", too).

If you listen to the "era" stations (70s on 7, 80s on 8, etc), you'll hear the radio cuts.

• Members
I love' date=' love, love satellite radio. As long as I can stay awake, I can drive and not loose signal. And that alone is worth the price of admission to me. The variety is an added bonus. But the sound quality can be just horrible. It varies from station to station, but when listening to almost any acoustic instrument it sounds like they word clocks are mismatched or something, especially on a station that they perceive as a "talk" station that doesn't require any significant bandwidth. It's almost un-listenable. I was looking for a local news report and happened upon a local public radio station on FM playing a symphony and the difference was huge. Unfortunately convenience on a ten hour drive is a bigger concern, at least in the car.[/quote']

The pop/rock stations use higher bitrates than the talk stations, but lower bitrates than the classical stations.

Archived