Blast from the past.

knotty

• Members

Hadnt heard this for years and got re introduced.

[video=youtube_share;ezPZxfS1jys]

Sorry it wont embed from my tablet. Sites still a junker!

I give up. It was supposed to be

STATESBORO BLUES

• Members

if you are using HTTPS on your tablet browser rather than HTTP vids won't embed.

You have to edit out the "s" once you have pasted it into the "insert video clip" box. Give it a try and if it works I will I will pull the vid from my post so as not to steal your thunder smile.png

• Members
One of the best songs off one of the best live albums ever recorded by anybody. Period.

You ain't kidding about that. As a kid in the early-mid 70s, I was mostly into what we now consider classic rock, like Free, Elton John, Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Zep, Stones, Bad Company, etc., but also the better singer/songwriter types like Taylor, Browne, Van Morrison, etc.

The first time I heard this song, in fact the whole album, I was maybe 13 or 14. It was on a Tucson rock station that played whole albums first song to last every Saturday night from 10 pm till 2am. This was the second album of the night (the first was was a Bob Seger album, maybe Beautiful Loser), and "Statesboro Blues" was the kickoff song of the album, and oh what a beginning!

I had never heard slide like that before, so raw and vocal, audacious and subtle at the same time. Then the incredible loosely-in-the-pocket performance of the entire band .... the whole thing was just the perfect hook for me.

I liked the middle part of the album, but the one-two closing punch of the changeable, shimmery beauty "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and the ferocious despair of "Whipping Post" ..... oh Jesus. I don't think this album has ever been equalled, and it may never be ....

It's the one album, more than anything else, that really got me to investigate the roots of the bluesier side of rock, and it's one of my alltime favorites.

• Members

You ain't kidding about that. As a kid in the early-mid 70s, I was mostly into what we now consider classic rock, like Free, Elton John, Beatles, Hendrix, Doors, Zep, Stones, Bad Company, etc., but also the better singer/songwriter types like Taylor, Browne, Van Morrison, etc.

The first time I heard this song, in fact the whole album, I was maybe 13 or 14. It was on a Tucson rock station that played whole albums first song to last every Saturday night from 10 pm till 2am. This was the second album of the night (the first was was a Bob Seger album, maybe Beautiful Loser), and "Statesboro Blues" was the kickoff song of the album, and oh what a beginning!

I had never heard slide like that before, so raw and vocal, audacious and subtle at the same time. Then the incredible loosely-in-the-pocket performance of the entire band .... the whole thing was just the perfect hook for me.

I liked the middle part of the album, but the one-two closing punch of the changeable, shimmery beauty "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and the ferocious despair of "Whipping Post" ..... oh Jesus. I don't think this album has ever been equalled, and it may never be ....

It's the one album, more than anything else, that really got me to investigate the roots of the bluesier side of rock, and it's one of my alltime favorites.

I totally agree with all of that. I loved that band so much. Some of the tracks on "Eat a Peach" were recorded at the same time as "Live at Fillmore East". You can hear them going into "Mountain Jam' at the end of "Whipping Post". I laced the two together on a RTR so they flowed right into each other. Same thing with "You don't love me" and "Whipping Post"..although it is a different recording of WP.

Best Southern Blues/Rock band ever.

And nobody has approached Duane's talent on slide. Not taking anythong away from anybody else...But no one else was him and did what he did.

• Members

Hard to believe it's a ship that's already sailed. I mean you can still see acts like Chad and Jeremy, Gerry and the Pacemakers and even some stoner bands like Jefferson Starship and Canned Heat (one or more original members), but you probably won't ever get another chance to see the Allman Brothers. Greg is sick and doing solo style shows and even Dickey Betts and Great Southern has called it quits indefinitely. Never got to see Duane but I'm just glad I got to see The Allman Brothers with Dickey Betts and Dangerous Dan Toler a couple times. And Toler's gone now too. Not the same after those guys left, not for me anyway.

Great tune, got to get another copy of "At Fillmore East", best live album EVAR!!!! (I mean IMHO of course)

Archived