50 year old mahogany!

Elias Graves

• Members

3F4B8ABB-C2AF-484E-9B91-501F26160268_zpsq8f3dxl8.jpg

Originally cut by Gretsch to become an Astro Jet but got left in a warehouse til I got hold of it.

Should be a fun project with a very light weight chunk of timber.

Here's an original for reference. Tell me there wasn't some LSD involved in the design of this...

72D343CD-16C0-4272-A0D1-3F200C538A35_zpsfztxctsz.jpg

• Members
Wow, while an unorthodox shape that could end up being a real looker!

Not a fan of the Gumby headstock. I tried a tele neck template to see how it looks with an in line headstock.

Im very tempted to go with a longer scale and make a baritone out of it.

28F13434-42F0-4873-891D-9C6CBB1B653F_zpswtmqfchj.jpg

• Members

Nice chunk of wood. It should sound good. I have one that's pretty similar I made from some 125 year old mahogany. The sap in the wood turns to rock when it ages and the wood sounds even better when it gets dried out like that.

• Members
Definitely needs a 3 x 3 LP type headstock not a straight 6 (and the 4 x 2 looks insane' date=' I agree )[/quote']

Yes, I agree, though a 'good' 4x2 might be workable even if this one is a little ridiculous.

• Members

You probably know this but be sure you drill pilot holes for any screws going into the wood. When the wood gets that hard it doesn't give at all. The screws will either strip, snap off or split the wood.

• Members

I bought EIGHT of those bodies when they were discovered in that warehouse about 3 years ago.

It's pretty easy to carve up a standard Les Paul neck to fit in the pocket and make it work:

DSC07253_zpsa284fd56.jpg

Here's a 12 string Astro Jet model that needs pickups and hardware.

DSC06471.jpg

BTW that mahogany is probably over a hundred years old. For one thing Gretsch usually stored it for decades before using it. And on top of that there also the fact that the TREE was at least 100 years old before they felled it.

• Members
I bought EIGHT of those bodies when they were discovered in that warehouse about 3 years ago.

It's pretty easy to carve up a standard Les Paul neck to fit in the pocket and make it work:

DSC07253_zpsa284fd56.jpg

Here's a 12 string Astro Jet model that needs pickups and hardware.

DSC06471.jpg

BTW that mahogany is probably over a hundred years old. For one thing Gretsch usually stored it for decades before using it. And on top of that there also the fact that the TREE was at least 100 years old before they felled it.

Nice!

Im planning on just making a neck to fit. Saw one guy who filled the pocket and re-cut for a tele neck. :)

I keep wavering on going all original (except headstock) or doing something different.

The baritone idea appeals to me. I have Firebird pickups that would make a killer bari set but I do like the odd duck idea of just doing it original.

• Members

You can also whittle these bodies down into something more like an SG in shape.

A problem you might run into with a baritone guitar is that there's not a lot of "pocket" with these bodies and that joint might fail under the heavy stress of all those strings and long scale. It might also be unbalanced looking with a longer neck. Heavy as well. I'd consider sanding these bodies down a lot as they aren't totally finished at any rate.

Coincidentally...... I built a baritone guitar myself using an old Gretsch Corvette body.

I started with a bass neck salvaged from an old Japanese guitar and added a Brazilian fingerboard to it that I made from scratch. It's red with a Bigsyby and fixed roller bridge.

The scale length is 31" and I think it sounds best tuned C to C.

I based some of the specs off of the

TV Jones Spectrasonic. After some pickup swapping I settle on a TV Jones Magnatron at the neck and a 1960's Gretsch Supertron at the bridge.

Since these pics I changed the clear pickup ring to a black one.

DSC07238_zpsafcffd02.jpg

DSC07240_zps5d393e6e.jpg

• Members
Can't remember where you weighed in on the tonewood issue EG' date=' but I'll bet you're a believer after you string up that Bad Boy. Big congrats, can't wait to see and hopefully hear what you come up with amigo.[/quote']

I like wood. I like tone. That's where I stand.

• Members
I don't think you really need a monster heavy mahogany guitar to get the tonez.....but it is cool.

These are Honduran mahogany (one piece!) and huge....and ancient. They look glorious under finish.

At 14 3/4" by 1 3/4" I was expecting an 8 pound chunk of wood. I was surprised to find it weighed half that. Should end up in the 8 pound range or so. Not bad at all.

As for finish, I think I'll go with a nice heritage cherry. I'd like some color but I don't want to cove it up. It is a beautiful piece.

Archived