which tone do you prefer, strat style guitar w/ humbuckers compared to les paul with humbuckers?

mbengs1

• Members

I just got a les paul, if u didn't know yet, and i compare the tone of my les paul with my ibanez RG's/JEM. I do prefer the sound of the strat style guitars but les pauls still have their place. for me the 25.5 scale of the neck coupled with a humbucker in the rear position sounds the best. i love steve vai's fat sound. i think its fat enough to stand up to a les paul. but les pauls still sound like they do, a little meatier in the mids and the lows and less highs.

• Members

I had assumed the slight dullness on my LP bridge position was intrinsic to humbuckers, but then...

I got an HSS strat and was gobsmacked how fresh the bridge humbucker sounded it was almost like a bridge SC but more powerful, slightly louder than the neck and middle SCs.

It is my go to guitar now :)

(I also don't much like the LP neck, can't seem to get as fluid on it, but that is an individual thing and probably depends which side of the LP/Strat tracks you grew up.)

• Members

Lately, I've really been getting into the sounds of my set-neck humbucker guitars (Gibson, Hamer). But the other day I plugged in my 89 American Strat and couldn't get over the lush sound of single coils and springs. I can't choose - the LP types for the crunchy stuff primarily and the Strat types for the twang and glassy sounds.

• Members

I love'em and have'em all ; P90's, Single Coils, Humbuckers, Active / Passive pickups, Stacked Humbucker in S,S,S, , S,S,H , H, S, S and H,H,H, pickup configuations.

The varieties in differnt tonal voicing each pickups provide me , inspire to play a curtain way , like the people I play and Jam with.

Archived