How much to shave off back of nitro finish neck?

• Members

I've got a strat with a nitro finish that has the typical stickiness to it. I've shaved a bit off in the past, but it's still a pretty slow moving neck. How much is normal, or non-harmful to shave off? I wonder if shaving too much off, thinning the neck some, will change the overall sustain of the guitar, which has a thinnish neck and is made of light wood. Is it fine if it's shaved so much that the finish is visibly shaved off the neck?

• Members

The problem is your sweaty hands, not the guitar. Just use talcum powder on your hand like Jeff Beck does and your hand wont stick to the neck. Removing the finish accomplishes nothing. Lacquer is a resin and the neck will self polish itself again after you've roughened it. If you take it down to the wood the problem will be even worse plus the maple turns an ugly gray color that is very unattractive.

• Members

Lacquer finish are typically 2 to 4 mils thick - you can knock the gloss off with 0000 steel wool or 1000 grit sand paper, but it will come back. With a maple neck you can actually remove the finish down to bare wood - look at all the old guitars that have the finish on their necks worn off. The wood will discolor, of course. If you want to reshape the neck remember that the lowest point of the truss rod is approximately 3/16 behind the skunk strip - in theory you can go part way to it.

Use 400 grit sand paper, then use the 0000 steelwool with lemon oil. Always works for me.

Martin, who still uses nitro on their guitars, specifically recommends NOT using lemon oil on fretboards as they say it can damage the finish. I haven't tried it but I would tend to follow their recommendations.

You could also scuff sand the neck and shoot a couple of coats of satin nitro - that will eventually polish itself but satin finished necks are pretty common on acoustics.

• Members
I've got a strat with a nitro finish that has the typical stickiness to it. I've shaved a bit off in the past' date=' but it's still a pretty slow moving neck. How much is normal, or non-harmful to shave off? I wonder if shaving too much off, thinning the neck some, will change the overall sustain of the guitar, which has a thinnish neck and is made of light wood. Is it fine if it's shaved so much that the finish is visibly shaved off the neck?[/quote']

http://www.shredies.com/

• Members

^^^^^^^ That is hugely funny. One of my other hobbies is rock climbing - for years climbers have taped their hands and used gymnast chalk to increase their grip - their are some new glove thingies that are supposed to do the same. I just hope I don't get them mixed up with my Shredies next time I go climbing.....

• Members

nitro ?

I had this on a poly finished neck, I use a 600 grit sandpaper pad and maybe go 3 times up and down the neck, takes the gloss of, then use the 0000 steel wool (cover your pups) to buff and give it a satin gloss, and a car polish to give it a shine, and then play it and repeat if it still is too sticky, stickyness was gone after 3 repeats and there's still a thin layer of poly left on my neck.

Archived