Most memorable guitar solo by a hired gun?

stormin1155

• Members

What are some of the most memorable/famous/best guitar solos played by a hired gun? .... someone who was not in the band. Eric Clapton's solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps is one that comes to mind. I'm sure Larry Carlton has some to his credit. Was he ever officially a member of Steely Dan?

• Members

Carlton was never a member of the Dan, though neither was Michael McDonald who contributed incredible vocals.

"Reeling in the Years" is my choice. Elliot Randall was not a member of Steely Dan, Baxter and Dias were capable players, yet he recorded one of the greatest solos of all time. Jimmy Page's favorite, apparently.

• Members
Carlton was never a member of the Dan, though neither was Michael McDonald who contributed incredible vocals.

"Reeling in the Years" is my choice. Elliot Randall was not a member of Steely Dan, Baxter and Dias were capable players, yet he recorded one of the greatest solos of all time. Jimmy Page's favorite, apparently.

Steely Dan is a weird duck, but I suppose the lineup of Can't Buy A Thrill is considered the original band. However, there were so many iterations of SD with guests and sidemen, it's difficult to think of anyone being the core members beyond Becker and

Fagen.

From that point of view, my favorite solo has to be Baxter's work on My Old School. I still get chills when I hear it.

• Members

For me the "most memorable" would have to be Clapton's contribution to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" because it unleashed the Kundalini energy in me and inspired me to play electric lead guitar which I have been working on since the White Album came out.

That being said, the other solos mentioed in this thread are, IMO, all great and worthy of praise.

Archived