Squier Mustang

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I'm probably getting me one of these guitars, and was wondering if I would have to replace the bridge Pup for a SD hot rails or something and replace the tuners. I am already replacing the bridge when I get it, because everybody is complaining about the bridge saddles and such, but will I have to replace the others. Will the pups get me a Soundgarden Tone going through a Johnson Amp? If so then no need to replace the pups, but also will the tuners keep it in tune or should I replace them with something good, yet cheap?

• Members

Never played a Mustang, though the tuners I've encountered on other contemporary Squier models were certainly adequate and held tune OK. Regarding the Soundgarden Tone, I believe that the Johnson amp will be a bigger impediment than the bridge pickup.

• Members
Wait till it's in your hands' date=' and see what it sounds like, before jumping on the replacing everything bandwagon. you might like it stock, and be happy with it as it sits.[/quote']

Good advice.. Also keep in mind that if you decide to sell it someday it's still a Squier. You won't get back the money you put into it.

Guest Guest

I actually just heard it stock on youtube, and will be keeping it stock. Except for the bridge. Every review I've read said the bridge saddles shake causing a buzz sound, on every squier mustang. Something they havent seemed to fix yet, but for 300$ plus a 50$ bridge you can't beat that price

Guest Guest

will do gardo, Just hopefully my webcam doesn't post a crappy, dark pic of it. Slick looking guitar, especially in the sonic blue, and NO I didn't get it because Kurt Cobain played it, I got it, because it's a beutiful guitar, but know when ever anybody sees it there going to think Kurt Cobain Wannabe, not to say I don't like Nirvana or kurt cobain , because I use to worship them, but I've kind of moved on from them to Soundgarden, but still love Nirvana. Just wish this guitar wasn't so looked upon as a kurt cobain wannabe guitar, but I say whatever. I think it's a beutiful, slick looking guitar, and still love it

• Members

I saw Todd Rundgren + Utopia back around 1973/74 and he was playing a Mustang, which sounded pretty incredible.

Then, I read in Guitar Player Magazine, maybe 4 years later, that he had his guitar technician replace all of the wiring, caps, and pots in the Mustang along with replacing the two Mustang pickups with a pair of stock Strat pickups.

PS: I would love to see Fender come out with a special edition 24.75-inch scale Mustang, and as far as that goes, a special edition 24.75-inch scale Jaguar, too.

• Members

I have a vintage modified Jaguar & the "Duncan designed" pickups in it are actually quite good. The tuners are also fine on it & I see no reason to change them out either.

The bridges are a bit of a pita to get set up on these, but as long as you use a little lock-tite & use heaver guage strings (I use 11's on short scales) you should be ok with the stock bridge.

• Members

That's not good advice. I cant count the number of bridges I replaced because someone tried that. The liquid gets down into the threads and saddles and permanently locks them to the point where you strip out the allen screw. On top of that squire uses cheap metals that will strip out easily. If anything use a drop of melted wax or hot glue. Neither of these will seep down into the saddle barrels and you can easily break the bonds whenever needed.

• Members

The OP is talking about replacing the bridge anyway... I would try the lock-tite (the blue kind) first before shelling out the $ for a replacement bridge. I haven't had a problem with it so far.

also I've found that shimming the neck on my short scales helps put more downward pressure on the bridge so they buzz less...

• Members
The OP is talking about replacing the bridge anyway... I would try the lock-tite (the blue kind) first before shelling out the $ for a replacement bridge. I haven't had a problem with it so far.

also I've found that shimming the neck on my short scales helps put more downward pressure on the bridge so they buzz less...

Just going to heavier strings made the saddlles on my Squier Tele more stable

• Members

As thatsbunk stated, he was going to replace it anyway. Might as well see if you can make it work vs spending $100 on a staytrem etc. Also, once you have the saddles set up to match the neck radius, there is no reason to adjust them up/down with an allen wrench anymore. The whole bridge can be raised/lowered if you decide to adjust your string height.

I actually just heard it stock on youtube' date=' and will be keeping it stock. Except for the bridge. Every review I've read said the bridge saddles shake causing a buzz sound, on every squier mustang. Something they havent seemed to fix yet, but for 300$ plus a 50$ bridge you can't beat that price[/quote']

The thing with the bridge to be aware of is the radius - the stock vintage Mustangs have a 7.25" fingerboard radius, and the stock bridges are designed to work with that. The Squier Mustangs have a 9.5" radius IIRC. You need to be careful that whatever you get to replace the bridge on that Squier will actually work with it correctly...

In the meantime, you can try this to keep the stock saddles from working themselves loose and causing rattles.

Guest Guest

The thing with the bridge to be aware of is the radius - the stock vintage Mustangs have a 7.25" fingerboard radius, and the stock bridges are designed to work with that. The Squier Mustangs have a 9.5" radius IIRC. You need to be careful that whatever you get to replace the bridge on that Squier will actually work with it correctly...

In the meantime, you can try this to keep the stock saddles from working themselves loose and causing rattles.

I was going to get a modified mustang bridge which they sell on warmoth.com and that should fit it. I don't know I've kind of thought about the loctite thing also, and just doing that instead of spending 50$ on a bridge. I was going to take it to a luthier to set it up, and lower the action. Is setting the action and loctiting the saddles easy to do on the squier mustang? If so I might do it myself, if it's not for an amatuer to do then i'll leave it to the luthier, but I really don't want to pay the luthier so If I can do it, I will try

I was going to get a modified mustang bridge which they sell on warmoth.com and that should fit it. I don't know I've kind of thought about the loctite thing also, and just doing that instead of spending 50$ on a bridge. I was going to take it to a luthier to set it up, and lower the action. Is setting the action and loctiting the saddles easy to do on the squier mustang? If so I might do it myself, if it's not for an amatuer to do then i'll leave it to the luthier, but I really don't want to pay the luthier so If I can do it, I will try

The Warmoth Modified Mustang bridge should work - I was just concerned that you were considering getting a used Fender Mustang bridge off Ebay or something.

The saddles on the Squier Mustangs shouldn't really be any more difficult to set up than any other Fender or Squier that uses similar saddles, and that includes the Jaguar and Jazzmaster, and lots of people use Loctite on those guitars. It's not the best or easiest system Fender ever came up with, but if you know the tricks, it's not that hard to do.

• Members

And I will simply add this to Phil's post: if you ask people if something is 'easy' or 'hard,' you'll get a lot of opinions, none of which really correspond to what you find easy or hard.

Luckily, there is an easy solution: go to http://www.fender.com, and check out their (well written and well done) guide to setting up your guitar. If you read that and think "OK, I can at least try that," then do try it. The only thing you can do is fail, and all you've lost is time.*

If you read it and think "eh .... no way," then don't do it. Pay someone else.

* - if you are a bit of a klutz, you could possibly ruin your guitar by utterly ignoring the directions and, for example, greatly over-rotating the truss rod. But your command of English in your posts suggests otherwise.

** - RANT: if you are serious about guitar, you SIMPLY MUST become adept at doing at least simple set ups of your instrument. This is not "learning to change the oil / brakes" but "learning to put gas in the car." Paying others to set up YOUR instrument is for those who are complete strangers to the instrument, or utterly lazy. Since you're already identifying appropriate replacement parts on Warmoth, you're not in that category. Will your set up be as 'good' or 'professional' as that done by a 'luthier?' (and let's be clear: luthiers BUILD guitars; techs work on them). No, it won't. But after you do a bunch of set ups, yours will be far better than any you could pay for, because you'll know your instrument and your playing preferences better than any tech.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Just got my new squier mustang, and It didn't have plastic on the pickguard and the pickguard has some scratches on it. Was wondering if this was worth sending back, or just keeping it and it adding "character". Plus it took me almost 3 months to get this guitar btw anyway, so sending it back could take awhile

Guest Guest

I'll try posting pictures but I got it from Musicians Friend so thinking about sending it back for a exchange

Guest Guest

Don't have a way to post pictures plus there hard to see the scratches anyway, but talking to customer service right now and sending it back for an exchange. If I can find someway to post pics I will though

Just got my new squier mustang, and It didn't have plastic on the pickguard and the pickguard has some scratches on it. Was wondering if this was worth sending back, or just keeping it and it adding "character". Plus it took me almost 3 months to get this guitar btw anyway, so sending it back could take awhile

If you're overseas or something, it might just be easier to buy a replacement pickguard, but if it's really minor, I probably wouldn't bother - pickguards scratch as you play the guitar anyway. If it's messed up enough to where it's really bothering you and you can swing it, send it back - they should replace it, no problem. :)

Archived