How can a Pickup break?

mbengs1

• Members
The sound of my Ibanez Jem changed slightly.

Slightly? I'd put big money the pickups haven't changed at all since ...what? ...yesterday?, but your hearing ability is what changed slightly or maybe your old strings have gotten even older or the acoustics of your practice room changed slightly because you changed / removed / added some object in the room.

Otherwise, it certainly is possible for a pickup to change over time if it is regularly exposed to a fairly strong magnetic source. Just ask Andy Summers about his old Telecaster. The pickups in his Tele got "aged" by him sitting in the back of the subway train twice everyday where the powerful electric motor was situated.

• Members

Thanks, i think it could be just psychological. but i will still have it rewired to make sure its got maximum tone. but is there a possibility that static discharge can destroy the electronics or maybe power surges from the amplifier or effects?

• Members

As Hubba stated, pickups can change over time,but it is a gradual process that takes decades, and due primarily to the magnets losing power. Pickups can also fail if the coil wire breaks, but that is an all or nothing thing, not a change in tone or volume. More likely what you are hearing has something to do with the wiring, solder joints, pots, age of your strings, your amp, or your ears.

Does it happen with both pickups? Is it intermittent? Do you notice a change with other guitars plugged into your amp? Try a different cord? Blow the wax out of your ears?

• Members
The sound of my Ibanez Jem changed slightly. I think it could be the wiring or maybe the pickups. is this possible? can a pickup actually lose output?

I would guess that you're playing too loud and dulling your hearing. I say this because I've done it

• Members

Pickups dying slowly doesn't happen. They work, or they don't. (Well, you could lose a coil, and it kinda works, but that's different) So, check the cable and jacks. If they are good, pop it open, and have a tech go over the solder joints, and clean the switch and pots. If that STILL doesn't fix it, then check the amp with a good tech.

• Members

I don't want to seem rude, and I apologize advance if I do, but do you not have a good tech in your area? It seems like most of your latest questions/threads center upon things a tech would know and be able to answer better than a forum of people who don't have access to your instrument.

• Members

I had a Texas Special p'up go dead. Luckily I had bought it and had it installed by a local store, so I got it replaced free. But the tech guessed it must have been a break somewhere in the wiring/windings.

Archived