What pickups to replace gibson 498t ?

mbengs1

• Members

I like the gibson 498t bridge pickup but i think its too low output and lacks mids and bass man. what pickup would you suggest to replace it? not that i'll change it immediately. it sounds fine. but eventually i might opt for a replacement pickup. i checked the duncan custom 5 and liked it a lot.

• Members

Try adjusting the pickup height and the height of the pole-pieces. First make good measurements of the height and write them down. Then start adjusting the pickup slightly upward using the set screws on each end. Adjust up a little bit (like half a turn) and then play. If it's not working for you, adjust upward and play again. Repeat until you are getting closer to the sound you are looking for. If you're looking for more bass, raise the bass side of the pickup slightly more than the treble side.

If the bridge pickup is being overpowered by the neck, try lowering the neck to get an overall balance to both pickups' output.

• Members

Had the 490R/498T combination in my LP initially as well and, I agree, the bridge (498T) wasn't cutting it for me. In my case, it not only sounded a little anemic but it was causing unwanted feedback (with gain) with my PA. I originally replaced it with a JB (I had laying around) which was a huge improvement. Still, it was getting a little overpowered by the 490R regardless how I set the pickups. I broke down and ordered two PAF style pickups (Sharp-tone) from a winder I found on Ebay. The ones I got are scatter wound, with mismatched coils and honestly I couldn't be happier with them - they are so 3D, warm and articulate. And they didn't break the bank (guy's still mostly known for his Strat pickups). Here's his email if you're interested: mfeldman4@hvcrr.com

• Members
Harmonic Design used to be the rage in the 90s. That quieted down big time . Not sure why.

FWIW http://www.harmonicdesign.net/

whelp, you got me gassing. so checked out site. something there spoke to me, so ordered a set o' vp-90's for my '50's trib.

wish me luck...

this just in - received email informing that scott p. is mending from a motorcycle accident and won't be shipping until june sometime...

• 1 month later...

Archived