Gibson les paul studio faded

mbengs1

• Members

Judging by what I've seen at Guitar Center, the lower end Gibson models don't have the same variance controls as the more expensive models. Neck angles vary wildly and the TOM bridge is jacked to the max on some. I have a Studio Lite Custom from 2000 that I'd put up against anything in the sound and playability department - and it stays in tune. But I spent a lot of time A/Bing in the vintage guitar store before pulling the trigger. There's definitely some bargains out there, but in this case you're better off buying in person and and play before you pay.

• Members

I've bought a few variations on that theme, i.e. the:

SG Special Faded (very nice sounding guitar and SG with 490s - a pickup I prefer over the 498)

LP Vintage Mahogany (has a mahogany top instead of maple cap and has BB Pros) It's a very light Les Paul, only about 6lbs 9oz. The sustain is naturally a little bit shorter than on a more solid maple capped LP, but it has a bit of semi-hollow quality to it tone, differing from the deep tone of a non-chambered LP, but I view it as a nice variation on an LP for lively blusier tones.

Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute - Ebony with cream plastic bits, P-90s

Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute - Gold-top P-90s (my favorite of the two)

SG Special '70s Tribute -Satin Vintage Sunburst - (could use some chimier minihums)

SG Special '60s Tribute -Worn Natural

I threw in the SGs into the conversation just as way of saying that I've had good luck with all of the variations of "faded" Gibson models I've bought. I've had difficulty quitting buying more guitars, so I'll eventually probably let go of the SG Special Faded, LP Vintage Mahogany, & LP 50s Tribute. The rest are safe at home since they don't really have any direct competitors in my stable that match those tones. I actually also have an SG Classic P-90 in Heritage Cherry that I'd be willing to let go because frankly my SG Special '60s Tribute with the thinner faded worn finish is a better sounding guitar than the higher end "Special" model. That faded style SG has a lighter mahogany body and has a better resonant characteristic. On the MF exclusive SG Special P-90, it's like the marriage of body, hardware and pickups hasn't quite happened. It's resisting excellence.

Bottom line, the faded are good guitars. But they do tend to have their own tone. And sometimes you may find that to be a good thing. Heck it took me a long time to put down that SG Special Faded. I bonded with that git more so than my '61 RI. The Special Faded just seemed to have a great natural voice for classic rock over-driven tones, not too hard, not too bright, just ready to be warm n fuzzy n articulately vibey.

• Members

Good stuff Gasman - sounds like an unqualified endorsement then for mbengs. Just out of curiosity though, have you run into the neck angle issue on any of those (maxed out TOM to compensate). Also, wondering if you may have purchased anything during the siege (richlite fretboard perhaps and multi-piece bodies), and if so, how did they stack up with the others?

• Members
the faded les paul studio sounds better than the standard les paul studio. lol. the mahogany top and burstbucker pros make the difference i guess.

Mine does, who are you to comment on subjectivity? Every guitar is different, some have it, some don't, regardless of what you pay. The end.

• Members

I haven't had any neck angle issues. And yes, I did buy a Gibson Midtown Custom with the Richlite. I was able to pick that up for $1,099 which was a great deal (missed an even better deal on them from Sam Ash for $999). But that was when folks were turning their nose up to the substitute fretboard materials and IIRC Gibson was starting to produce ebony and rosewood fretboards again, so there were some very good blow-outs on the baked maple fretboards (which I also liked - seems like they add a bit more presence). But no complaints at all about the Richlite. But it's not like I've had a lot of time with that guitar to be able to speak on how well it will hold up versus ebony. But it's a very nice guitar.

Archived