From the Dallas Observer: The 10 "douchiest" guitarists

DeepEnd

• Members

Why aren't idjiots like Scott Stapp and Bono on that list (both play guitar). These two are the epitome of "douche" if there ever were any. Otherwise, I don't see why about 7 of those listed are supposed douches. Yes, they are wonky technicians in most cases, but not really douche bags.

• Members

I don't get the douchey reference. Yngwie just sucks. Batio mMMaaaybe a little douchey but I like his sig OD so he dun count. Vai is badass or all the Zappians are douchey - hmm you know, they kinda are. Oh well. Compilation fail.

• Members

I think the list says a lot more about the douche level of the author than of the guitarists.

Satriani, Vai and Neilsen = not douchey at all.

EVH = a bit douchey but an amazing player and pioneer.

YJM = incredible but kind of a douche

The rest = total douchewagons despite their skills (or lack thereof).

• Moderators
I think the list says a lot more about the douche level of the author than of the guitarists.

Yup, just about sums it up for me, but I think everybody her could agree who the No. 1 Envious as a Green Eyed {censored}bag author of stupid lists is

• Members

What he said, except I think YJM belongs in the total douche catagory.

• Members
Yup' date=' just about sums it up for me, but I think everybody her could agree who the No. 1 Envious as a Green Eyed ****************bag author of stupid lists is[/quote']

Probably. To be honest, I'd never heard of the author or the Dallas Observer until I saw a link to the post at the bottom of an online news item. Obviously, the title interested me and once I read the post I thought it might interest the rest of the Forum. Thanks everyone for your comments.

• Members

Rick Nielson's whole persona is tongue-in-cheek. He's actually a nice guy.

Wes Borland wore those costumes because he hated the band he was in. He's also supposed to be a nice guy.

C.C. Deville isn't my cup of tea, but every interview I've seen with him, he came off as quite nice.

Satriani is one of the best musicians of our time. He only comes off as douchey when he spent a lesson with a fan giving him music lessons rather than a guitar lesson.

Eddie Van Halen is pretty sincere but he's always been a jerk.

Vai is a nice guy, but totally into himself.

The only real douche on the list is John Mayer. The stories I've read about him all add up to him being an overall bad person. He's like the Justin Beiber of Blue-Eyed Soul.

• Members

I think the guy who wrote the article is a failed or frustrated musician ......

I guess he couldn't evolve beyond playing air guitar with his 1978 Ibanez Iceman, with Kiss blaring on his turntable while wearing Kiss make up and the Kiss duds ..... Eruption must have made him realize that good guitar playing takes a lot of hard work and practice.

I can understand Wes Borland and John Mayer being on the list or Yngwie repeating his first four albums since 1987 ..... the article is a fail.

• Members

Just another person who thinks his opinion has some sort of universal truth to it. Music snobbery at it's finest. "The music I don't like is douchey and the music I like isn't. " Simply a mechanism to allow someone to feel superior to others. No different to classical snobs putting down jazz and rock as "inferior". No different than Jazz snobs putting down rock as "inferior" No different than Rock fans putting down newer forms of music like hip hop, pop or electronic music, as "inferior" It's the sign of a childish closed minded individual. Some of which have already posted in this thread.

Archived