Are all strap locks compatible with each other?

mbengs1

• Members

I want to change the strap buttons on my guitar to strap locks. I'm worried if the screws will fit each other. i looked at schaller, ernie ball, and fender strap locks and i wonder if they will fit into the screw holds of my gibson les paul. or can i use the screws of the current strap buttons for the new strap locks?

• Members
You can use the screws from your Gibson on Schallers most of the time . All you have to do is get toothpicks and glue into the old screw hole.

+1 What I did though was just take a washer, and screw it on as a barrier between the button and the strap. The only way to get the strap off is to unscrew the buttons, but it's on super sturdy.

• Members

I use cheap nylon web locking straps. They do fine on Strat / Tele type guitars and will hold Gibson buttons but I don't know if they'll make contact with Gibson bodies. I don't use 'em on my Epi Dot regardless. Still unless you intend to windmill your guitars around - and why are you windmilling a $5000 guitar (?) the cheap straps will hold.

• Members
If you want something cheap and simple, go to a hardware store and buy some e-clips:

fetch?id=31474485

They come in different sizes so you should be able to find some that fit your guitar's strap buttons.

aka Jesus clips... When you pry them off they tend to fly away & you wonder, "Jesus, where'd it go?"

I want to change the strap buttons on my guitar to strap locks. I'm worried if the screws will fit each other. i looked at schaller' date=' ernie ball, and fender strap locks and i wonder if they will fit into the screw holds of my gibson les paul. or can i use the screws of the current strap buttons for the new strap locks? [/quote']

The actual buttons they use are often different, and incompatible with other brands. You can't use Schaller buttons with Dunlop strap locks. As far as the screws, the lengths may be different, but as jtr654 said, a few toothpicks and some Elmer's glue will fill the existing hole and allow you to use screws with a different length if you need to.

• Members

i tried using the original button screws with my schallers. didn't work, the original screws ride up in the schaller button and prevent the strap clip from locking. it's been so long since i had dunlops that i'm hazy on them. seem to remember that there might be an issue with original screw's length using dunlop's button.

but it's been a long time...

• Members

I use both Schaller strap locks and Dunlop StrapLoks.

You can attach any conventional strap to either design in a conventional manner. However, the strap mounted part on both systems is only compatible with its own design.

As for the Dunlop StrapLok system mounting screws: they are special. The have a special hybrid oval/fillister head, they are a couple of millimeters longer than conventional strap mount screws, and they are ever so slightly larger in diameter than conventional strap mount screws.

Archived