Xaviere guitars?

erok123

• Members

I've ended up buying six in various models, including a couple LP flavors.

The necks are slim, fit and finish has been OK for the price on my most recent purchases; not perfect if you go looking, but nothing glaring either. They play great if set up properly. I don't care for the FAT and Crunchy Pats that are generally stock, the VEH are great though. I've also done well with the Vintage 59 (throatier than the VEH) and the Classic II (very dark sounding). Haven't tried the newer HBs, but their Filtertron imitations do what they say if you're into that.

• Members

IMHO, you're more likely to be happy with an Agile AL-2000 for $25 more. It's a higher quality baseline. They are discontinuing the AL-2000 though, so what is left in stock is all there is.

al2000tobacco1.jpg

The next step up is the upgraded AL-3010SE line, which runs about $315 (and is worth more, in my opinion):

al2000tobacco2.jpg

I bought a lemon drop Xaviere LP copy (I think it was an XV500) for my stepson, and when it arrived to him, the neck was twisted.

• Members
The Xavieres have gotten incrementally better over the years. The current ones are actually quite decent.

Interesting, my first was an early Korean-made model, and it definitely is a cut above the later/Chinese/more affordable ones. When was your most recent purchase?

• Members
Don't bother. Probably will need a setup' date=' possible fret job, and a pickup upgrade. Save up and get an Epiphone. THEN get a pickup upgrade.[/quote']

Probably true.

My Xaviere XV 900 was shipped in a hard shell case and still needed a little work on the neck along with a good set up and better strings

I'm happy with it now but most often you get what you pay for.

• Members

The Xaviere is going to give you a full 3/4" Maple Cap, a long tenon neck joint, a slim neck and solid Mahogany body. The hardware isn't that great, but the electronics (including pickups) are awesome. Frets can be hit or miss, but they do accept returns. I've had two XV-500's, and they sound so good (Crunchy PAT pickups) that they just inspire me to play more and more often. I have guitars from top of the line Fenders down to the Xavieres, and to me price doesn't matter, whether a guitar inspires me or not is what matters.

• Members
Interesting' date=' my first was an early Korean-made model, and it definitely is a cut above the later/Chinese/more affordable ones. [/quote']

MIK ... You are talking about when GFS first released guitars, one of which was a Greco / Zemaitis shelltop clone. After those MIK guitars were gone, GFS did sell any guitars for about 3 years. Eventually, they got back in the game with MIC guitars, first with rather damn cheesy guitars. Slowly but steadily, with each new model year / generation, the quality increased until they finally had something worth buying about 4 years ago.

When was your most recent purchase?

I've looked at plenty over the years -- some at NAMM, some that friends had. I finally bought one about 2 years ago. It is a LP with a bridge humbucker and a P90 neck. It is overall a great guitar, but, I ended up having to level a couple of high frets.

• Members

I got some students that own Agile and Xavier Les Paul copies. Great guitars, it may need a truss rod adjustment, an upgrade in electronics ( according to taste) ..... but a great deal. You can make these as good as a Gibson with the proper experience or if you give it to a good guitar tech.

Then again back in the 1970's, many Gibson cork sniffers were sniffling over the guitars made, Burny, Greco and Tokai. Many even surpassed Gibson's quality.

• Members

Scary part, the Chinese are making great guitars now !!!!

Someone could build a factory with CNC machines in Mongolia or Madagascar and make the same guitar as the one made in China. Besides, the Chinese have been making high end guitars for a few decades. Check out Eastman Guitars (23 years in business):

http://www.eastmanguitars.com/

Archived