Gibson ES 335 1964-65

dikki

• Members

Greetings:

I am interested in selling my Gibson ES 335 made in 1964-65 with serial number 305009, can someone tell me what you think about it and what can you advice to me, attached are some pictures.

It has no pickup covers, no original Bigsby tailpiece and no original knobs.

Thank you

0c4b5031b56e446ce5d9dfab6a900e03.jpg.6806b3098e14fee586659c0e1457c89a.jpg

7e864cf3c01eec544b8f988425167f92.jpg.72ac220e3b8cda9d3f436ac535651065.jpg

• Members

The width of the neck at the nut is 1' 5/8", seem that the bridge have nylon saddles, the upload option doesn't allow me to upload higher quality picts, I would like to know how much I can sell the guitar for.

24eedb68f63e40f2fba7457f45dc8c99.jpg.e54b84c8c55c3181f9765b609f7345d3.jpg

• Members

Ok has it had a headstock break? Its a 65 its seem in ok condition. The binding on the side of the neck seems to be missing in the 1st & 4th pic right? the back of the neck is not worn but the frets are. To sell a guitar or figure the value you need to show every inch of the guitar . Go to Ebay and check out how they show their guitars at every angle and inch of the guitar. From what little I've seen in your pics this would be a Players quality NOT a Collectors item. Also do you have the original Case pickup selector tip? As for $$ Its hard to say at this point. Where did you get it and how long ago. What are you thinking its worth?

• Members

No headstock break the ivory like binding on the side of the neck is missing in the 1st & 4th pic, frets are worn, no original guitar case or pickup selector tip, This guitar was given to me by my father in 1966-67 and he purchased it from a fellow worker in Miami Fla, I have used it from 1967 till 1980 on a steady basis and then I switched to keyboards, as for what it's worth I get different amounts from 5k to 20k.

• Members

The reason I asked about the nut width is because I have a '66 335 that I thought was quite a valuable guitar even though it is not in original condition. It has been refinished and the hardware (bridge, tailpiece and tuning machines) has all be replaced. It does have all the original electronics except for one tone capacitor.

The reason my guitar is not valued as a "players" guitar is because of what is known as the "pencil neck." The neck is very thin and the width at the nut is 1 3/4". although it is a fabulous sounding instrument, the tiny neck makes it difficult to play. I have to alter my technique and use a lot of doublestops in order to be able to play chords.

• Moderators
I'ld say less than 5k to get those upper amounts it would have to be dead mint or a rare color with all original parts & case. nice guitar but like I said it's in Player condition.

I'd have to agree with this, however I would say that with some professional attention, you could considerably increase it's worth, but the binding alone is reducing it's value by a significant amount as a potential purchaser would rightfully point out that the end in binding just towards the end of the first octave inhibits it's playability amongst other things.

Getting that rebound by a good pro, semi pro would go a long way to seeing the value increase for not a lot of work or money.

Also the fretboard is in appalling condition, the frets look to be caked in years of goodness knows what.

This is well worth some light restoration and sinking a few hundred in on repairs and refurbishment, and then it COULD be a very desirable guitar

Archived