Taking the neck off to ship a guitar?

thatsbunk

• Members

I'm considering putting a guitar I don't use anymore on Ebay. I had it on Craigslist for a little while but am getting tired of the low ballers & no shows. I've sold stuff on the bay before but it has always been items that were easily to pack/box. I do have a decent sized box right now that would be perfect if I took the neck off, but i'm concerned that I would eliminate some potential buyers if I went this route. Would you consider buying (or selling) a guitar with the neck disconnected?

• Members

I wouldn't. As much of a PITA shipping assembled....what if he puts together badly?

I always try to keep a guitar box around- could always hit up your local stores?

(Edit: affirming that it's just me! Others or your buyer might be perfectly fine with it. Can ask. )

• Members

I agree. I personally wouldn't mind it, but you'll limit your sales to only those players good enough to assemble and instrument. Just have the customer pay to insure it . If it gets damaged you make your money plus you have the thing back for spare parts.

• Members

You are forcing the buyer to not only assemble it but also to set it up, intonate it and in general, make it playable. Of course I would also never ship a guitar that wasn't correctly packaged in a hardshell case inside a cardboard guitar shipping box (which you can get from any music store) insured for replacement value.

Lastly, I would never buy a guitar that I hadn't played, but that's just me.

• Members

With cheap guitars I use kids bicycle boxes from the cycle store but if you can get a proper guitar box with the right shape expanded polystyrene inside that is best. Also use "Fragile" tape, it helps your case if there is shipping damage

Don't separate, most buyers are clueless on gradual tightening in sequence (like a cylinder head) they will moronically bang the first screw in way too tight and strip the wood and demand a refund, don't go there.

I used to deal bicycles and had to tape on big labels explaining that the left hand pedal is left hand thread. Most buyers honestly don't know that!

• Members
looks like i'll be dumpster diving for a suitable box then...

Go to a music store and get a box for a guitar just like yours. Ask them for all the packing material - they usually get their stock by UPS - you want to package it exactly the same way.

Ideally your guitar has a hard shell case but there are still some things that should be done. This is about shipping an acoustic but pertains to any instrument. Thousands of guitars are shipped every day without damage - just follow a few simple steps.

http://www.bryankimsey.com/shipping/

btw - if you are shipping during the winter or to a cold climate be sure to have the recipient follow the warming the box for a couple of days - you can really screw up vintage finishes.

• Members
Go to a music store and get a box for a guitar just like yours. Ask them for all the packing material - they usually get their stock by UPS - you want to package it exactly the same way. . . .

Good luck with that. The nearby mom and pop here in the St. Louis area doesn't give away guitar boxes, they use them themselves to ship guitars they sell on eBay. When I sold my Fernandes Strat, I found a suitable box at the recycling center late on a Sunday night. In any event, don't remove the neck.

• Members

Kinda depends on the guitar, but I personally wouldn't mind, if not prefer. I think the smaller package would be less prone to being mishandled than a long, skinny guitar box. But I like to take things apart, too.

• Members
looks like i'll be dumpster diving for a suitable box then...

Guitar Center will give you one, either from the store or from the recycle bin out back, though they may cut up boxes before they go into the recycle bin. Just kinda hint that you need to sell a guitar because you are interested in buying one from GC (uhhh... some fancy PRS or something along those lines). ;^)

• Members

Sorry, if it's not set neck its not a Les Paul.

It says on the guitar Les Paul. It feels, plays, and sounds very much a Les Paul. Not "like"... is. It's been on big stages and small- it opened for the Fixx twice, Live, and Blind Melon.

A real trooper, go-to workhorse.

Sorry it doesn't align with your notions. All Les Paul:

062097d75442408f424976de2b75c0aa.jpg.534f4c0ca8dc58872cded96dd1ffbc53.jpg

d5bc69dafd89061b6df24c2ab8cdf68e.jpg.9e5adba58f39949755644c2411f21638.jpg

• Members

It says on the guitar Les Paul. It feels, plays, and sounds very much a Les Paul. Not "like"... is. It's been on big stages and small- it opened for the Fixx twice, Live, and Blind Melon.

A real trooper, go-to workhorse.

Sorry it doesn't align with your notions. All Les Paul:

All very nice, but not a real Les Paul. Sorry.

• Members

All very nice, but not a real Les Paul. Sorry.

Just goes to show you don't know sht.

If I handed it to you to play you'd never know it. Fact. "sorry",

I just love how....people.....think bolt ons aren't real guitars.I contend that without glues there's a BETTER bond to the wood. Wood to wood...if you will. I have all the sustain and tone of any Les Paul...including "real" Gibsons.

You've not played this guitar so it's probably best not to open your mouth about stuff you don't know about.

"Sorry"

• Members

Just goes to show you don't know sht.

If I handed it to you to play you'd never know it. Fact. "sorry",

I just love how....people.....think bolt ons aren't real guitars.I contend that without glues there's a BETTER bond to the wood. Wood to wood...if you will. I have all the sustain and tone of any Les Paul...including "real" Gibsons.

You've not played this guitar so it's probably best not to open your mouth about stuff you don't know about.

"Sorry"

Oh dear, your panties are in a bunch arent they?

I am not knocking your guitar, or bolt ons. I dont see why you think I have, apart from you being you.

For 99.9% of the guitar buying population "real" strats are bolt on "real " Les Pauls are set neck.

Thats not my fault, just the way it is. Yours says Les Paul on the label, thats good enough for you and thats fine. Enjoy your pseudo LP.

• Members

Don't remove the neck unless you have to for a replacement or repair. Necks don't just go back on many guitars as easily as people think. For many guitars, if you don't shim the neck properly it will never setup right.

If you live anywhere near a big box music store, they generally throw out guitar boxes on a regular basis. They'll give them to you if you ask. Double box if you can.

• Members
Don't remove the neck unless you have to for a replacement or repair. Necks don't just go back on many guitars as easily as people think. For many guitars, if you don't shim the neck properly it will never setup right.

If you live anywhere near a big box music store, they generally throw out guitar boxes on a regular basis. They'll give them to you if you ask. Double box if you can.

I have a Yamaha Pacifica beater. For years I have taken the neck off. Taken it on holiday. Reasembled and played. Disassemble bringhome and play. Never had an issue. Cant speak for all guitars but works for me.

Archived