10 Guitars That Changed Music ,by Randy Bachman

gardo

• Members

I don't know if I'd agree with that list myself. If you include all genres then I can see there being 5 semi hollow body guitars, but if you were talking rock/pop I'd say this guy is in left fields.

I'd have to explore the gear the biggest bands over the years to get a hard core list but I's at least look at some of the biggest sellers. Beatles for example used Epiphones for years, They're close to an ES 335 so you could make that jump.

Motown music was a huge contributor to pop music. A Firebird was used by the Funk brothers on all of those hits.

An SG would have to be on my list given the fact its been used by so many.

The Fender Jazz Guitar is another important instrument.

I can see the 12 string rick being up there but other then Harrison on a few tunes and of course McGuinn of the Byrds, nobody uses those guitars. They are a beast at best. Tom Petty's 620 Petty or Lennon's 325 blow away the 12's for popularity.

Dan electro's, Guild, Gretch, Hagstrom, had just as many hits as Gibson or Fender back in the day. Jackson, Ibanez, BC Rich. Parker, PRS, are all important instruments when it comes to modern huts

Even the lowly Silvertone or Harmony as a mail order guitar has probably influenced more musicians then any other guitar made during a period of 10-15 years because it was the first instrument most parents bought kids for Christmas in the 60's to early 70's

I know the Chet Atkins is very popular with country bands as was the Country Gentleman so I'm guessing his top 10 included country music. Townsend on the Who's Next album used a country gentleman to get those those rock tones but other then a few others like Ted Nugent not too many hit bands use them live for obvious feedback issues. If jazz bands are included then it would be a must.

Archived