amp ideas

sammyreynolds01

• Members

I need some ideas for a nice amp to play at home. My Line6 amp after 10 yrs has died and I need another amp. I'm looking for something like 20 or 30 watts but nothing with a lot of gimmicks. I don't need an amp with a ton of models or effects built in. If I want effects I'll get some pedals. Any ideas?

• Members

Something like this might be ideal for you if you can come up with a little more.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/bugera-v22-22w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CIfmj-Pk9sQCFYNDaQodf18Aww&kwid=productads-plaid^82170943347-sku^502583000001000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

Personally I do like the Marshall Valve state stuff. Cant get much better tone using Mosfet output transistors for tube tone in a SS amp. I have two and find then highly durable. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG30CFX

• Members
Well I get the impression you're looing for another practice amp' date=' something very low maintenance, i.e., no tubes. If that's your criterion, I think it's hard to beat a Fender Mustang or perhaps a Roland Cube.[/quote']

I'm not against tubes, I just don't want an amp with a ton of things I don't need like amp modeling and built in fx. The effects if need be I can handle. I really don't want another modeling amp.

• Members
I need some ideas for a nice amp to play at home. My Line6 amp after 10 yrs has died and I need another amp. I'm looking for something like 20 or 30 watts but nothing with a lot of gimmicks. I don't need an amp with a ton of models or effects built in. If I want effects I'll get some pedals. Any ideas?

Roland Cube 20XL You can pick them up all day long for $100 or so used.

• Members

You should have a bunch of choices if you're not looking specifically for a tube amp or anything too big if you go used.

I personally like the old Yamaha solid state amps. Not too big, no modeling to deal with & nice reverb & clean tones.

Maybe a used blues junior could be had at that $ if you shop around too...

• Members

20-30 watts is kind of a lot, if you're looking at tube amps. $350 puts you into the territory of used Fender and Peavey tube amps, such as the aforementioned Blues Jr. You could probably score a Peavey Classic30 or maybe even a Hot Rod Deluxe, if you're diligent. All of these amps are pretty big for bedroom amps. If you like to crank it up sometimes, you'll be probably be happy with one of those. I detest Behringer as a company, so I won't recommend the Bugera stuff at all (sorry Billy).

If you're looking to stay at a lighter volume, you can score some pretty cool smaller, vintage tube amps in your price range. I often see some of the older Silvertone, Valco, Supro, etc. practice amps come up in good shape at that price. $350 seems to be the going rate for a silverface Fender Champ.

• Members

It depends if you want a modeling amp or a tube amplifier. I myself recommend the Fender Mustang II V2 amp if you're not looking for a lot of power, but simply something to play on. However, if you want a tube amplifier, get an Egnater Tweaker. Those are my two personal recommendations, but the ones stated above are also excellent, if not better amps. It all depends on what you want.

• Members

Vox pathfinder is a great little amp.

A solid state fender amp with a 12" speaker and an open back would serve your needs.

I really like my Princeton 65. Sounds nice and full. Some small tube amps sound boxy and flat ime. They are ok if you can crank them, but even a 5 watter is gonna be pretty loud and Noisy when cranked.

• Members

i say go bugera, v22 i have had mine since 2009 with 0 problems at all, damn thing sounds great high or low volumes and both channels.. my newest amp is a egnater tweakwer, also a very good choice. although imho the bugera sounds better and might be just as versatile. those would be my choices anyway

• Members

The Mustang is still a great choice *if* you like Fender tones. It can still hot rod it up- but IMO Fender was the first to NOT have every bell and whistle and pretend to sound like every amp ever made. You can easily and simply have a handful of very good amp tones....and some simple effects thrown in.

The Roland is also a good choice.

I found the Blackstar Core series (20 or 40) to be a GREAT home amp. It's stereo field sounded so awesome. And it doesn't bill itself as a modeller either!

One of the things I like about a versatile amp (modeller sometimes?) is it allows me to play and learn so much more. If I'm not feeling particularly practicey (lol) I can just unleash tones and fx at will. Kinda hard to cop U2 or Rush with just a tiny terror. Not that it can't be done.

You COULD use any bells and whistles...or just go straight up amp tone. I like having that option and I think you MAY miss having it available to you.

With the blackstar- I felt like I was listening to the best recorded guitars ever. That may be an INSTANT turn off to some- but in a simple home amp I find it a blessing- I could compete with ANY recording I wanted to learn and play to without feeling left behind. It has it's own Blackstar Clean Warm, Clean Bright, Crunch, Super Crunch, OD 1, OD 2...that you can store for no worry easy instant access. Always have the right tone available with no fiddlin.

Yep...my vote is Blackstar Core!

• Members
The Mustang is still a great choice *if* you like Fender tones. It can still hot rod it up- but IMO Fender was the first to NOT have every bell and whistle and pretend to sound like every amp ever made. You can easily and simply have a handful of very good amp tones....and some simple effects thrown in. . . .

My fellow praise band guitarist has a Peavey Vypyr 75 modeling amp and he fiddles with settings between songs. OTOH, I have a Fender FM65R and it's very much "set and forget," which is my preference. Set the EQ and reverb level, select the channel, and you're done. One basic sound. Start playing. It either sounds like a Fender or it's off.

• Members
i say go bugera' date=' v22 i have had mine since 2009 with 0 problems at all...[/quote'] Back when I cared, I used to regularly hear and read about people having problems with various Bugera combos and heads. I'm guessing Bugera amps are nowadays better than they were 2 or 3 or 4 years ago. Otherwise, Egnater, Blackstar, and Jet City amps are the value leaders out there these days for non-modeler type amps, along with Bugera.

• Members

I'm not against tubes, I just don't want an amp with a ton of things I don't need like amp modeling and built in fx. The effects if need be I can handle. I really don't want another modeling amp.

I see. In my own case, I have practice amps and performance amps although I really don't do much performing these days. My practice amps are a Peavey Bandit and a DOD Juice It, both US made and built like tanks (and eons old). These are good reliable amps with a decent tone but not near as good sounding as my Magnatone, my Fender or my Mesa. A friend of mine detests making any compromises sound wise and uses his tube amps to practice as well. I used to be like that till I realized just how much I was shelling out for tubes and maintenance every year.

So with that in mind and assuming that you really want the best amp for the money I submit an amp that this guy turned me onto. He's got some pricier amps but this little VHT Special 6 he's got sounds about as good as any and seems to be built like a tank. He's jammed it with me and a drummer and it's plenty loud. If I didn't have so much crap, I'd have one of these badboys for sure. Oh, did I mention that they are hand wired? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vht-special-6-6w-1x10-hand-wired-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Archived