Remember This ?

gardo

• Members

The ones in stores like that didn't usually work very well. They would tell you if they tubes had good filaments and gave you a good or bad range on a meter. I think they might have told you if they were gaseous too. But for the stuff that counted like microphonics, tube gain, and optimum bias levels etc that impacted sound quality couldn't be done with those. They mainly told you if they were dead. The portable one I used as a tech was fairly good because you could use it to match tubes, but it still comes down to tweaking them in an amp and doing a test under operating conditions and injecting a signal and using a scope to test their fidelity.

• Members
The ones in stores like that didn't usually work very well. They would tell you if they tubes had good filaments and gave you a good or bad range on a meter. I think they might have told you if they were gaseous too. But for the stuff that counted like microphonics' date=' tube gain, and optimum bias levels etc that impacted sound quality couldn't be done with those. They mainly told you if they were dead. The portable one I used as a tech was fairly good because you could use it to match tubes, but it still comes down to tweaking them in an amp and doing a test under operating conditions and injecting a signal and using a scope to test their fidelity.[/quote']

Yep. Really complicated this guitar lark. I am surprised there are more than 3 people qualified to plug in and play.:blah:

• Members

Yeah, I remember those and TV repair vans that were often seen in the neighborhoods. Finding the bad tubes in TVs used to keep a fair number of folks employed. But that was a concept that became passe' along with the term of "durables". Now it's "consumables" (Well, except for maybe cars which have become more "durable".)

• Members

Boy do I ever...brings back memories of me and mu Dad pulling all the tubes out of the Zenith and goin g down to U-Totem to test 'em. Brought the set back to life! Also fixed a Old Victorla cabinet style radio with U-Totem tubes. Actually rigged up a jack and played my Musicmaster through that thing...Till Mom heard me any way....

Archived