Gibson Brands Acquires Harmony Central

Dendy Jarrett

Taps? Hardly.

Have you read the press release?

It will be nice having owners who "get it" and who want to not only restore it, but take it further than it's ever been. They're very serious about wanting to retain the site's editorial neutrality. As the press release says, this isn't going to be a "Gibson site" - they already have that. The new editorial director (Craig Anderton) is someone who knows the ins and outs of online music communities better than anyone out there, and the same person who was at the helm during the period where HC did better than it ever has - 2005-2010. That all bodes very well for the site IMHO.

• Members

It's ok, some people will like the 10,000 foot view, and Bucksstudent likes the 8 feet under view. Buck ... the view is much better up here come on up and join us! smile.png I'm just joking obviously, I know you like participating here and are hopeful the place will flourish.

smile.png

D

• Members

The current editorial team of Dendy Jarrett, Phil O’Keefe, and Chris Loeffler will remain onboard and Gibson’s Craig Anderton, who was at HC’s helm during its period of greatest success, will serve as Editorial Director.

Gotta be honest, I'm actually very hopeful about this.

I see Phil hasn't lost his sense of humor.

:)

Don't get me wrong - I know there are challenges ahead, and things that need to be fixed. None of us expect everyone to instantly have their faith in HC restored. There's been too much damage done over the past few years for that. Dendy, Chris and I are all in this for the long haul. We want to see the site succeed and for it to be an invaluable resource for musicians. I do believe what the press release says - they want to keep the site neutral; they already have a "Gibson site" - and they're willing to commit the resources needed to make it successful again. What they "get" is that a vibrant, independent online musician's community like HC has tremendous value to not just Gibson, but to the industry at large. I believe that under Craig's renewed leadership it has a much better chance of returning to its former glory (and even exceeding it) than under any other management - again, he was at the helm when this site was the most successful it has ever been, and there's no one I can think of who has more knowledge and experience with a site like this, or a better visionary grasp of what is possible for it. As I said, I think all of that bodes very well for the future of HC. While I don't expect you to believe it immediately, nor do I promise a magical instant transformation, hopefully you'll stick around and give it a chance and watch what happens. :)

• Members

This is the most welcome thread since ive been a member here. It also answers a lot of questions regarding the recent management of the site.

Good luck to Dendy, Phil, Chris and the rest of the lads.

We are a very mixed bunch who dont agree a lot of the time, thats part of the character of the place. But I think I speak for the rest of the members in wishing you the best of luck. There will be of lot of us rooting for you.

• Members

Funny...I joined in 2013...Dug the place immediately. As long as I've been here I've seen posts and moaning about "The Good 'Ol Days when Harmony was Hot". I've had a ball here, I've learned a lot..I mean I've actually had conversations with guys like you Phil and Lee Knight and Craig Anderton, who I'd followed since he was writing for Guitar Player. I own several of his books. To be able to kind of had dialogues with Pros like y'all and actually gotten responses...Well it means a lot to an old geezer like me who never really progressed past garage bands and four track cassettes. I'm glad i missed the salad days here. I'd have never stood a chance at being a little closer to all these pros. Glad I stuck around! Mebbe if the place lights up I'll have been around long enough to hang with the Top Dogs!!

• Members

You got the downs 'Lil Brother! Dr. Joe sez, put on Sgt. Peppers immediately! Listen to "Getting Better" three times in a row! If'n ya don't perk up...Go to my Soundcloud page and listen to "Bob Dylan's Nose" once..Realize then how talented you are! And there is hope for just about everything in the world!

I may or may not have involved reasonable amounts of announcement and alchohol induced euphoria in this comment.

• Members
I appreciate the optimism, and the fact that Craigs back in charge and you guys got your jobs back.

But IMO HJ ain't gonna play Mr. Nice Guy for very long.

If it was my livelyhood, I'd keep my feelers out.

Sooner or later he's gonna be in you s***.

People change. I've known Henry for a long time. By my estimate, he's on Henry V3.1. The most recent update included some firmware updates and bug fixes :)

I think HC will follow the Cakewalk playbook. Cakewalk was on the ropes when Gibson acquired the company. Henry basically took off the parking brake, and let Cakewalk be Cakewalk. X3 became an incredibly successful release, and then Henry threw out some brilliant ideas of how to take the company even further. Cakewalk ran with it...and now the whole "membership" model is doing great, and SONAR is picking up a lot of new users. No one at Cakewalk was fired, in fact the company has been authorized to hire additional people. Many had written off Cakewalk, but no one is writing off Cakewalk any more.

FWIW I was pretty involved in that acquisition too :)

There were other places HC could have gone. But I felt Gibson offered the best home by far, and most of that was because it was clear Henry saw HC's importance and as yet unfulfilled potential..

• Members
Good to have some certainty for you guys' date=' but forums owned by a brand never work for me. I'll be banned within a week for saying something about the cost of LPs...[/quote']

Saying something about the cost of LPs = not banned

Advertising counterfeit LPs from China = banned

• Members

Your name is orange now. Can I get mine changed to like a nice Tiffany blue?

You know, I'm a big Epiphone fan. The new Epis are better than ever, so if Gibson can do well with oversea production, I'm sure Harmony Central will fair well. We should get more cute mods like Phil too.

Archived