should you keep old gear?

mbengs1

• Members

I made a mistake of selling some good equipment that i bought. I'm sure i would have liked them still now but since i was going through a dark period (27-30). so i sold some old stuff trying to start a new life. now i think i should have not sold my ibanez RG550, my first boss pedals i bought second hand on ebay (super overdrive, ds-1 among others), my pickups like my dimarzio tone zone, super distortion, and duncan 59' (i could've used them now). why keep old gear if you feel like you're getting old (they just remind you of younger days)?

• Members

It really depends on weather you need it or not or may have some future use for it. I lists my gear collections several times during hard times. I'm lucky a few items survived like my first amp head from 1967. I have allot of gear I know I'll never use again. I just have no need or desire to sell it off right now and seeing how poor the economy and used gear market is right now, I cant see selling it for less then its worth or what I paid for it used.

I'm pretty good at knowing what gear sells for having been an electronic tech most of my life and have bought a bulk of it well below even used gear costs. As a rough estimate I likely have around $50K worth of used gear at todays selling price, I paid $10K for. The value of many of the pieces have doubled or tripled over the past 20 years since I bought them. I see gear as an investment not just a necessity and I do get to use the gear while it goes up in value. If I had the money in a bank today it probably wouldn't be doing very well and even taken huge losses I may have never gotten back given the volatile markets and ultra low interest rates today.

The gear goes up in value if you know what to buy and take care of it. I know guys who do it for a living buying stars guitars and paying huge amounts on gear just because someone famous owned it. They make out pretty good too. Last time I was at his place he had one of the Strats Oats from Hall and Oats owned. He paid like 20K for it and expected to get allot more for it because it had been used to record several hits and was on one of their videos. I played the thing for a few hours and wouldn't have paid more then $500 for it as a used instrument. The history of it is what investors pay for just like famous paintings and art work. One of a kind is one of a kind.

• Members

It depends on the gear, BUT .... do a search on any guitar forum for the word "regret" and you will find countless tales of woe from people who sold/traded/gifted gear that they wish they had back.

Tale as old as guitars ....

• Members

I'm not really a good one to answer that as guitars only have value to me as players - will not buy or hang on to anything as an investment. And also, if I have a great piece of equipment, I'm likely to hang on to it regardless of whether I have any commercial use for it. I just know how hard it is to find something that really works and so I hang onto the good stuff and use it as I wish. I'm like a connoisseur of guitars and amps and really enjoy the driving experience. On the verge of being a horder but also like to keep it manageable otherwise they all just lose their value.

• Members

There are tons of guitars I have sold, that I wish I kept, and others, I wished I never bought. (PRS springs immediately to mind... shudder...) But, to have what I have now, I had to do it, and I don't regret it at all. I am actually happy with the 28 in the herd right now

• Members
There are tons of guitars I have sold, that I wish I kept, and others, I wished I never bought. (PRS springs immediately to mind... shudder...) But, to have what I have now, I had to do it, and I don't regret it at all. I am actually happy with the 28 in the herd right now

This.

past guitars all contribute to my choosing the keepers I now have. But if I look back then many have particular quirkes or idiosyncrasies that I miss but know I couldnt live with full time.

• Members

I recently discovered an identical tone I had admired for years, Marr's "How soon is now" tone was the exact thing my Tele and an old YamahaOne Hundred 412 I've had for decades, was all that was needed to replicate it. Now it's like no way I'm ever selling this thing, it was hiding under my nose for decades. Until you finally know the depths of everything electronic that you own & use,{and few if any rarely do}, you have no idea what you may giving away, so as a general rule no, I don't sell anything unless it's an absolutely unavoidable situation.

• Members

Yes ,the reason you bought it in the first place was because you liked it .if you buy them just for the look then who cares.

i recently came across a VS musician HH amp 2 X 12 combo and bought it for next to nothing . i used to have one in the 70`s` actually it was my first proper amp but it was stolen from our rehearsal room, i never replaced it with the same make of amp ,i moved onto using Peavey gear for a while . i did love the sound of the HH though and so when i saw one going cheap i just had to get it ,even just for memory`s sake . i may not ever gig it but then again....

I have a few items that fall squarely into that "regret getting rid of" category. OTOH, hanging on to stuff you don't like and aren't using doesn't make a lot of sense either. If you haven't used it in two years, chances are you really don't need it or like it all that much.

The best approach I've found for me is the philosophy of not settling, and not selling what I have (and like) to facilitate buying something new. IMO it's a mistake to be in a hurry and settle for getting something "kind of" along the lines of what you want just to get it faster. Don't be impatient. Want a specific Strat? Then save up and look around until you can afford it and until you find just the right one that you really want. Don't get a less expensive version and try to convince yourself that it's "close enough" and that you'll make do with it. That usually leads to regret - not to mention that when you do sell or trade in the "make do" item, you usually lose money on it; it winds up costing you more in the long run than if you just saved up and purchased what you really wanted to begin with. And definitely don't sell something you already have and really like to get something else you're jonesing for right now... that always leads to future regret. Hang on to what you have, and add the new thing you want to the collection later when you can afford to do so.

• Members

There is not much you can't replace with ebay craig etc' if you wait a while for one to come around.

My only real regret was selling my Hagstrom Futurama III for a fraction of it's value today but that is a money issue, not a replaceability one

I also regret lending my Marlin Sidewinder Bass to someone I subsequently lost contact with :(

• Moderators

Get rid I say, once they're scratched up, sell em and buy something nice. I know numerous people with horrendous looking old 1960s Stratocasters, and Telecasters as old as 1952!!!!

Also, musicians who you think would know better trying to play good music on busted up, scratched and tarnished Gibsons from the late 50s, that really belong in a dumpster.

And don't get me started on all the money people waste on those horrible old vacuum tube amplifiers....haven't they heard of solid statte and digital????

Bloody rediculous

• Members
Get rid I say, once they're scratched up, sell em and buy something nice. I know numerous people with horrendous looking old 1960s Stratocasters, and Telecasters as old as 1952!!!!

Also, musicians who you think would know better trying to play good music on busted up, scratched and tarnished Gibsons from the late 50s, that really belong in a dumpster.

And don't get me started on all the money people waste on those horrible old vacuum tube amplifiers....haven't they heard of solid statte and digital????

Bloody rediculous

Agree, not many people know guitar wood goes soft as it ages. Those early guitars were only designed to last 3 or 4 years. I would have thought SRV could have afforded a new one but maybe musicians weren't paid so much back then.

I'll take take them off you for the scrap copper in the pickups

Archived