NGD: New Guitar Day

DeepEnd

• Members

I am no longer without an electric. Last week, I went back to the pawn shop where I bought my Roland amp and found a Schecter Gryphon. It's in good condition with only a few dings and scratches, and a broken pickup ring, which can be replaced. If I'm interpreting the serial number correctly, it's an '04, a nice match for my '03 Fender FM65R amp, and from what I can gather this model was made exclusively for Guitar Center. I tried it out through a small Tube Works amp they had in the shop. It sounded good except the neck pickup was a bit weak; it was adjusted pretty far down from the strings though so I figured that was the likely reason and if not I could probably live with it. $120 cash out the door and they threw in a too-big gig bag made for an acoustic. I bought a proper gig bag from World Music Supply and I have a set of pickup rings on order. I plan to sell the gig bag on CraigsList. I figure I can recoup $10 or so.

It has a string-through mahogany body with a flamed maple top in what I've started calling "mud burst," a sort of gray-brown, but it's growing on me. Bolt-on 24 fret maple neck with a 25.5" scale. Two "Duncan Designed" humbuckers with coil split, single volume and tone, and pickup selector. Overall, there's a kind of Fender-meets-PRS vibe.

It was desperately in need of a setup and some TLC; I could tell by looking at the bridge the intonation was off and, as I mentioned, the neck pickup was 'way too low and the bridge pickup could stand adjusting as well. The strap buttons and knobs were loose and as I worked on it I realized the tuner bushings were loose too. Talk about "sweat equity," LOL. I set it up with a new set of d'Addario 10-46 strings with a wound third. The relief is 0.010" (0.025mm) at the 8th fret and the action is 4/64" (1.6mm) on the treble side and 7/64" (2.8mm) on the bass side at the 17th fret. With the pickups properly adjusted (2/32" [1.6mm] for the bridge and 3/32" [2.4mm] for the neck), it sounds great with nice pickup balance and good sustain. If it had been in this kind of shape before, the previous owner might not have let it go, LOL.

It's lighter than my Strat copy was and nicely balanced. I played it in worship Sunday and really enjoyed it. It feels "right" in a way my Strat never did. Looks like I'm eligible for membership in the Schecter Society: http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-41/1122341-. BTW, I skimmed through the thread and found a total of six other Gryphon owners so we're a definite minority. Here's a pic:

fetch?id=31459010

• Members

Nice guitar...she looks ready for punishment. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

I have two schecter's on my radar...a vintage style strat and I REALLY really want a Blackjack with Floyd and sustainer.

• Members

$120 with a gig bag. They sold for $350-400 new and they're going for $140-200 with a case on eBay--including one with a missing bridge--so I think I did all right.

It looks like a lot of guitar for the money and will be perfect for the praise band., kind of an earthy look

• Members
Nice guitar...she looks ready for punishment. very-happy.png.197c47f720636f02390cc2b0a33804da.png' alt='smiley-veryhappy'>

I have two schecter's on my radar...a vintage style strat and I REALLY really want a Blackjack with Floyd and sustainer.

Thanks. That's cool. I hadn't seen those Sustainiac pickups before although I'm familiar with the Sustainer circuit Fernandes uses. Good luck getting one.

For a religious kind a guy you should probably be arrested D.E. Highway robbery used to get you twenty to life. But hey, congrats and enjoy while you're on the lamb dude.

Hey, Jesus said "Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matt. 10:16b NIV). sm-wink Seriously, I'm as surprised as you are. I don't think of myself as a particularly good negotiator. The guitar was tagged $139.99 and it rang up as $149.95 with tax. I asked the guy if he could give me a better price for cash. Honestly, I was expecting maybe $140 cash and I had a bit less than $160 on me in case they wouldn't budge. He spent a few seconds with a calculator and said $112.00+tax, $119.97 cash. I even felt bad asking if there was a case and I offered to pay for the gig bag but he said he'd include it free. I figure they must know what they can sell stuff for and stay in business. I put $120 cash on the counter and walked out with my new guitar and three cents change. For comparison, another pawn shop a few miles away had a nearly identical Gryphon that was in much worse condition for $149.99.

Archived