First post! Plus my SG! Pics and a clip.

Lithsp

• Members

Hi guys, I'm Lithsp. First post here. Kinda been lurking for a while though - this joint always seems to pop up whenever I google something guitar related.

I'm from QLD, Australia. Anyway.

It's a 2011 Gibson SG Standard Limited Edition in Cream. More like banana yellow, but it's supposed to be cream.

It OWNS.. I love the neck pickup. So good. The bridge pickup, eh, I don't mind it.. that's actually a really good sign for me since I usually hate bridge pickups.. only ever use the neck anyway.

Here's an audio clip of me failing at some bluez. I can't actually play the blues, but this backing track was the first thing I found when I wanted something to play over with my new guitar...

Here's some pics..

IMG_20150312_024101_zpswublrrfk.jpg

IMG_20150324_201652_zps6xxg1gyk.jpg

IMG_20150324_201711_zps5l6haoc5.jpg

IMG_20150324_201733_zpsjxasbr2v.jpg

IMG_20150324_201531_zpscpjkyrl0.jpg

OH by the way. I just got banned from TGP yesterday. If you guys aren't comfortable with me being around, that's totally cool.

Man, I love this SG. Haven't had it long - maybe a week or so - but to me, that's already past my usual honeymoon period.. lately I've been flipping guitars way too much.

This is the first time I haven't been interested in looking at other guitars though, so that's a good sign.

Only time will tell if I'll keep it (and there's no reason why I shouldn't).

• Members

Welcome aboard Lithsp. Love your enthusiasm for your recently acquired SG. Sweet guitar and I dig the tonez you're getting on your clip. Oh and forget about TGP, that place is for corksniffers. We get drunk on anything we can get our grimy hands on over here.

• Members

Hey, cheers mate. Yeah this SG owns.

TGP for me, wound up as basically a bunch of tan pants 70yr old bluez playing pedos, lol.

I got banned without breaking any rules - the reason was that I alienated so many people its not worth having me there, lol.

Anyway.

The tones in that clip to be fair are probably half SG half S-gear 2 :p

Awesome stuff S-Gear is.

• Members

Cheers mate.

Update for transparency - gotta ditch this SG. Wut.

My fiance hates the colour and always has a sook about it whenever I play it - so I was thinking the last couple days of selling it and just buying something WITH her next time (I'd really rather her approval so I can play without the whining.. stupid, I know).. and eh, I'm not really bonding with it.

It looks awesome and sounds amazing, easily my favourite sounding guitar that I've had, but I've been putting in loads of time on it since having it (almost all my spare time, actually), and I'm just not warming up to the neck.

Can't explain why.

I'm going to go back to Fender stuff.. my Strat neck is KILLER and I prefer playing it so much more, even though it doesn't look as cool or even sound anywhere near as good. :/

• Members
Cheers mate.

Update for transparency - gotta ditch this SG. Wut.

My fiance hates the colour and always has a sook about it whenever I play it - so I was thinking the last couple days of selling it and just buying something WITH her next time (I'd really rather her approval so I can play without the whining.. stupid, I know).. and eh, I'm not really bonding with it.

It looks awesome and sounds amazing, easily my favourite sounding guitar that I've had, but I've been putting in loads of time on it since having it (almost all my spare time, actually), and I'm just not warming up to the neck.

Can't explain why.

I'm going to go back to Fender stuff.. my Strat neck is KILLER and I prefer playing it so much more, even though it doesn't look as cool or even sound anywhere near as good. :/

If you're looking for Strat playability with cool looks, check out a Jazzmaster. All the cool kids are playing them.

I've personally never been able to get along with SG's. I like the way they look. Like the way they sound. But damned if the things aren't horrible to wear, between the too thin body, the neck being in the completely wrong place when you stand up to play, and the headstock throws itself at the ground if you don't prop it up.

Good luck with the continued guitar search and the finicky fiance.

• Members

I'm at work so I can't see your pics or listen to your clip but I've always liked SGs. I knew a guy in college who owned one and it was the first I'd seen up close. I'm a married man so I know what you're going through with your fiance. Fortunately, my wife doesn't care what my guitars look like as long as I don't spend too much. It's too bad you're not bonding with the SG but it happens. I just replaced a Fernandes Strat with a Schecter and I'm much happier. And if you're serious about a future with her it's probably better to take her along. What Strat do you have? If you like the sound of the SG you might also like a "fat Strat."

Archived