What slides have you tried and liked?

WRGKMC

• Members

I've used many different types at one time or another. The chrome, Glass, Brass, Steel and Ceramic.

I normally use a medium brass with a medium wall.

I thought I'd try a Dunlop Brass Slide Heavy Wall, Medium 224SI for a little better resonance and holy Moses, talk about a heavy slide.

Think of sticking a glass beer bottle on your finger and you'll come close to the weight. That thing is heavy. Glass feels like paper in comparison.

I don't mind a little weight there because its inertia smooth's out your hand changing directions, but that thing is allot thicker than I thought it would be.

The benefit however is it does give you a good workout. You use that one for a while then go back to the lighter one and its like rocket city so maybe it wasn't

a bad thing after all when it comes to working out. Super sustain too. All the strings sound like thay are passing over the nut, even the high strings which tend to

sound weak, especially with light gauged strings.

• Members

I have a cheap glass one like that ^ and a cheap chrome one as well. The glass sound is too stringy for me. The chrome one sounds like electric. Other than that I use med. low action, standard tuning, and slide doesn't work real well not that i can.

• Members

Brass gives me the best tone but it tarnishes within a couple of weeks. I have some Tarnex which works like a champ for removing it. Also automotive swirl remover works to take it off and leave it highly polished. Once the tarnish is gone and its polished I put some Teflon oil or WD-40 on it. This keeps it from oxidizing so quickly.

Dunlop does make a steel slide I'm thinking about trying. Winter used a steel pipe for his slide to get that highly metallic tone. Dunlop's add says they

will make a warm or dark sounding guitar scream when you crank them up. I can see that happening in comparison to brass or glass.

• Members
Listening to some old Allman Bros. and Sonny Landreth music made me wanna play slide seriously.

Remember that Duane's slide of choice was a Coricidan medicine bottle. I love the story Rory Block tells about selecting a Craftsman spark plug socket for her slide. The old bluesmen used pocket knifes, pieces of all kinds of metal tubing and of course, cut off bottlenecks.

I consider myself a slide player (not a good one, but probably a third of my music involves slide. Mostly blues and Kottke/Cooder/Fahey stuff - plus a little lap sliding. I've tried a lot of different slides - I think most of the sound comes from the player, not the material, but there are a few things that seem to help.

Mass helps with your vibrato and control - a heavier slide is just easier to work with. If you are playing on a fretboard with a lot of radius (most electrics) then you want a slide with nearly the same radius. Most of my dedicated slide guitar have fairly flat boards so I like a straight slide. It should be long enough to span all the strings - since I play on 12 strings I like the slide to come to the end of my pinkie.

You can play with it on pinkie, ring or even index finger - there are good players that do each. Whatever you choose the slide should fit medium snugly - I use my little finger and very slightly bend it to keep the slide on. I like to have three fingers available for fretting notes and also to dampen the strings behind the slide.

Setup is a matter of choice, but my dedicated slide guitars (three different resonators and a long scale 12 string) have very slightly higher action, heavier strings - particularly the first two and are tuned to D or C or G. Some electric players, of course, play slide in standard tuning - I'm an acoustic player and like my open tunings.

Thses things are ridiculously expensive but they are frankly the best I've ever tried

http://www.tribotone.com/slides.html

I've got two of them including a custom one that's a little longer for my twelve string - here is some noodling around on the tricone with a Tribotone (its acoustic - sorry)

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index....mike_bills.mp3

I have an original Coricidin bottle from the 60s that I confiscated from my grandmother's medicine cabinet years ago that's perfect for me. I have a reproduction too, but it is a bit too long for my ring finger. I guard the original very carefully... it is the best slide I have ever used - at least for me. YMMV

• Members
Listening to some old Allman Bros. and Sonny Landreth music made me wanna play slide seriously.

George Harrison is my main influence along with Bonnie Raitt and Ry Cooder.

My brother plays with John Campelljohn who is a great blues player who also plays pedal steel and I learned a lot from him.

• Members

Dunlop 212 glass on electric.

Dunlop 228 chrome on acoustic.

Both are about 2" long. The glass one is pretty thick but the chrome one is just as thick & much heavier.

Usually wear them on pinky but sometimes the ring finger.

A custom Jimmy Heffernan bar on dobro and lap.

130402-084335_zps2bbd46fc.jpg

Archived