Time to work on my Squier 51

jedisb

• Members

I've had a Squier 51 sitting at my house for almost 3 years now and have finally decided to do something with it. I got it from a pawn shop for $80. The body was a custom made Walnut body, but the guy that made it positioned the bridge pickup and tailpiece routes way too far from the neck pocket. I ended up finding the guy and he had the original (black) body, which he gave to me. This is what the walnut body looked like:

Squier51.jpg

I know what I want to do with it but am not sure how to go about one aspect of it. This is a quick mock-up I made on one of the online virtual guitar builder sites:

squier%2051%20mockup.jpg

Plans are:

Fender Copper Tone Metallic finish from ReRanch

Black 51 pickguard from WD Music

Black Locking Tuners from GFS

Black Lipstick Neck pickup from GFS

Black Dream 180 bridge pickup from GFS

Black Hardtail Bridge from GFS

Black Graphtec TUSQ nut

Black Knurled Knobs from GFS

The only problem I'm having is the control plate. GFS sells a black chrome Precision bass control plate that is slightly smaller that the 51 plate but I was wanting an exact fit. Fender/Squier doesn't make one in black.

My only two options, as far as I can tell, are to paint the existing control plate or have a black chrome one custom made. Does anyone know how easy either of these options might be? I don't think painting over chrome plating is going to look very good or stay on very well. But I don't know if there is any place that can make a custom plate in black chrome - either locally or someplace I can work with online. Any suggestions on making either of these options work, which would be best, cost of a custom plate, etc.?

• Members

My only two options, as far as I can tell, are to paint the existing control plate or have a black chrome one custom made. Does anyone know how easy either of these options might be? I don't think painting over chrome plating is going to look very good or stay on very well. But I don't know if there is any place that can make a custom plate in black chrome - either locally or someplace I can work with online. Any suggestions on making either of these options work, which would be best, cost of a custom plate, etc.?

Take your control plate layout to a sheet metal shop that has a laser cutter. Ideally you should draw it with a drafting program and give them either a .dwg or .dxf file - if you can't do this give them the dimension (or a plate to duplicate) and they can generate the file. Ask them to cut it out of 18 gauge (0.048) or 16 gauge (0.060) sheet metal with their laser. Have them either tumble or hand buff the cutout.

Then have it either anodized black (best but expensive) or powder coated (better than painting). Powder coating is an electrostatically applied finish that is then baked on - it is pretty hard when done. Last choice would be to paint it but you probably won't be as happy with it.

You actually might want to have them make a dozen or so which you can sell on evil bay to recoup the setup costs.... I'm going to guess the cost will be somewhere less than hundred bucks (I used to work in a fab shop....)

I've never tried powder coating directly over a chrome finish but that might work - talk to your finisher. If so you could probably slip it in with other stuff that is getting coated black - that should be very reasonable.

• Members
^^^

Great post, Freeman, that there is some useful info. :thu:

It really is a great post and is exactly the info I was looking for. The company I work for has a relationship with a manufacturing and machine shop. Think I'll reach out to them

• Members

It really is a great post and is exactly the info I was looking for. The company I work for has a relationship with a manufacturing and machine shop. Think I'll reach out to them

I'd like to hear how it works out. The nice thing about having it done on a laser is that they can cut the switch slot and "drill" all the holes perfectly - they will not be able to counter sink the mounting holes but that can easily be done before the finish is applied. If there is any chance that they would let you watch the laser at work it is a totally cool machine.

• Members

I have a couple of '51s. I had "plans" for both of them, but so far all I did was put a Guitar Fetish bridge in black on my blonde model - easier to string, but the top of the allen screws are considerable sharper than the stock bridge. I had the same interest to change the rest of the body hardware to black. I did call a local shop about powder coating. I can't remember for sure if I discussed "over chrome" or not, but I think I did. I was a bit surprised by the cost, I can't remember the quote, but they basically said they'd throw it in a batch with other items. The knobs I could possibly buy in black cheaper, but it might work out better to just have all the parts done at one. My recollection is that Guitar Fetish also used to sell the control plates in different finishes, as well as different designed pickguard. But their pick guard designed didn't do much for me compared to the stock designed.

On my sunburst model, I wanted to modify the pick guard a bit, basically removing the pg from under the strings and to the left bout to make it look a bit more like a pg on a '52 Tele. That and I had a Duncan Alnico Tele p'up for the neck and a Duncan Pearly Gates Plus for the bridge. Just need to get around to it some day. The blonde I wanted to leave stock because I kinda like those Squier p'ups.

• Members

I'd like to hear how it works out. The nice thing about having it done on a laser is that they can cut the switch slot and "drill" all the holes perfectly - they will not be able to counter sink the mounting holes but that can easily be done before the finish is applied. If there is any chance that they would let you watch the laser at work it is a totally cool machine.

I asked via email and they didn't really answer on making one from scratch. But they did say that they thought they "could lightly media blast the chrome prior to plating to force the powder to adhere" on the one I have. They are supposed to get back with me after making sure.

Archived