Anyone tried these yet?

hellion_213

• Members
Ive always had good luck out of them myself' date=' but think I may give these a whirl. Do you use fast fret/etc on coated strings? Or does the coating eliminate the need?[/quote']

For me, eliminate the need. Throw some stainless frets into the equation and it's gold and I'm not a shredder, well, of carrots perhaps.

Ive always had good luck out of them myself' date=' but think I may give these a whirl. Do you use fast fret/etc on coated strings? Or does the coating eliminate the need?[/quote']

I pretty much stopped using Finger (sl)ease after switching over to coated strings. YMMV :idk:

• Members

I quit using DR's awhile back so I haven't bothered trying any of their strings in several years. They were really good strings when they came out. They felt a little lighter then most strings of the same gauge. I used to buy all the time and liked their tone.

I started getting bad batches with D and A strings that came up flat and wouldn't intonate no matter how far I'd adjust the saddles towards the neck (like a 1/2 inch towards the neck with no improvement) This is usually a sign they used core wires that were too thin or someone substituted a wound G for a wound D. In a case like that with the string is tuned down 5 frets you'll never see enough tension to properly intonate because the core is too thin.

The last few times I bought two batches spaced out over a 6 month period and was still having the same problems so I just quit buying them. I have the same issue with Fender Bullets. I recently tried them again and figured after 5 years they may have gotten their act together so I bought two sets of stainless and two sets of nickel. What a waste of money. Both sucked eggs for being able to intonate properly. I have two of those bum sets left on the shelf which are useless.

They did change their packaging but they sure didn't fix what's inside. I never had issues with the American made Fender strings or the ones made in Japan. When they switched to making them in Mexico I have no clue what happened but the quality went down the tubes.

It seemed to be the same way with the DR's I started getting bad sets and wrote them off as another company that traded quality for profit. The High Beams aren't exactly inexpensive either. They are around $5.50 on line and they don't come close to having the consistent quality of the Boomers I often use and can buy for $2 cheaper per set.

SIT's were another brand I used for years and all of a sudden started getting bum strings. I talked to the owner of that company and he told me there was likely an issue with the core material being used and he refunded me for all the bad sets I got. It took awhile. I tried them on and off, but they eventually got their act back together. Their packs are in sealed air tight plastic now instead of in a box that can be opened and strings substituted out.

Maybe I'll give the DR's another try on my next batch. I was using 11's on my DOT and liked the feel. I just hate getting burned by a unusable product. I figure that company owes me for about 6 sets at this point and don't want to rack that number up higher. Maybe their specialty brands like the Black Beauties are made better. I'll just have to splurge on a set and keep my fingers crossed.

• Members

MF has a deal going righ now - 2 packs of Pure Blues and 1 pack of the Black Beauties for 11.99. They're 10-46s though.

I used to use markleys and started getting bum strings, moved to dadarrios, broke pretty quick. Blue Steel Markleys didn't seem to handle whammying well. DR pure blues and D'adarrio Chromes are about the best things ive found. I just prefer round over flat.

That's cool man. So maybe just wipe them down?

Yeah, I definitely have to wipe my strings down regularly. I have caustic sweat that just eats through strings (especially non-coated strings) if I don't stop and run a cloth up and down the neck every so often as I am playing to dry it off; especially if my hands are really sweating a lot. I also try to pinch-wipe the individual strings after I'm done, and just before putting the guitar away. I occasionally give them a squirt of Finger-Ease, but not very often at all anymore. IMO coated strings really don't need it as much since the coating keeps them from building up the rust and gunk. It's still a good and useful product IMO, but I find I don't need to use it nearly as often with the coated strings. YMMV.

Archived