Newspaper article about George Harrison's sister

DeepEnd

• Members

^ That reminds me of a story: A man came running up to a cop yelling "Help! Police! Murder!"

The cop asked him what was the matter.

"You gotta come quick! There's a dead guy in the alley! He's been shot and stabbed and on top of that it looks like he's been beaten to death! He's in the alley wrapped up in newspapers!"

The cop replied, "Take it easy, buddy, take it easy. You know you can't believe everything you see in the newspapers."

Seriously, a shorter article with some of the same stuff appeared last year just before the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' Ed Sullivan appearance. I do wonder about the "lost Beatles songs" that conveniently burned up. I can't confirm anything else but I used to love going to Fenton Music store in Mt. Vernon, IL so that part is possibly true.

I had to chuckle about George wanting to do a Hank Williams tune though. Especially since the Beatles did cover "Act Naturally" by Buck Owens, with Ringo doing vocals. Who knew they were such Country fans? Not me.

• Members

You've done it again D.E. What an incredible human interest story. Call me naïve but I have no trouble believing any part of it. Always a George Harrison guy when it came to the Beatles and that story only seals the deal. Glad to see she's carved out her little niche in show biz as well and still going strong at 83, cool.

Knotty's right - you can't believe everything you read in the papers. lol.gifwink.png I think the guitar George purchased there was actually Rickenbacker 425, not a 420. They also refinished it for him before he took it back to England - it was originally Fireglo, and he wanted it black - possibly so it would be a closer match with John Lennon's recently refinished (sometime between October and December 1962) Ric 325. There's some who suggest he also purchased a Maestro Fuzz Tone on that same trip to visit Louise. They were pretty rare in England at the time, and photos show the Beatles with one in the studio in late 1963.

Cool article though - thanks for posting that! phil-thumbs-up-small.gif

^ That reminds me of a story: A man came running up to a cop yelling "Help! Police! Murder!"

The cop asked him what was the matter.

"You gotta come quick! There's a dead guy in the alley! He's been shot and stabbed and on top of that it looks like he's been beaten to death! He's in the alley wrapped up in newspapers!"

The cop replied, "Take it easy, buddy, take it easy. You know you can't believe everything you see in the newspapers."

badump.giflol.gif

Seriously, a shorter article with some of the same stuff appeared last year just before the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' Ed Sullivan appearance. I do wonder about the "lost Beatles songs" that conveniently burned up. I can't confirm anything else but I used to love going to Fenton Music store in Mt. Vernon, IL so that part is possibly true.

There's records that show the Ric was shipped to that store... no doubt at all about that particular Rickenbacker 425's provenance - they definitely sold it to George on that 1963 trip to visit Louise. It's very well documented. The bit about the lost songs sounds pretty suspicious to me though. By all accounts that I've previously read, George never really tried to write until a bit later... so a bunch of lost Harrison songs that burned up in a fire and are therefore lost forever falls into the urban myth category as far as I'm concerned. There's just not enough evidence to support it.

I had to chuckle about George wanting to do a Hank Williams tune though. Especially since the Beatles did cover "Act Naturally" by Buck Owens, with Ringo doing vocals. Who knew they were such Country fans? Not me.

George was definitely a big fan of country and rockabilly. Listen to his playing approach on the first album. It's all Carl Perkins, Chet Atkins, Scotty Moore... yes, Perkins and Moore are pioneering "rock" (rockabilly) guitarists, but both were heavily influenced by country and to a lesser extent, jazz. His playing - especially in the early days, owed far more to the country side of rock than it did to the blues side IMO.

• Members
.....But dont beleive everything written in the papers. I never actually killed anyone.

Well, as for me, I'd prefer to wait until all the evidence is in on that one. Hope you don't mind. No offense intended. But I think a 'wait & see' approach is a prudent way to proceed.

Archived