Don't learn tricks , learn the guitar

gardo

• Members

Crowds love fretboard walks, slides, tapping, power steps, even a simple pick slide, etc. While I agree with your statement, it's only to an extent. Don't JUST learn tricks, but, if you want to grab attention, learn some, and incorporate them into your live show, sparingly, and spread out. Overdone, they no longer serve their purpose. Some 'tricks' are just douchey (guitar swings), others captivate your non-guitarist spectators, giving them another reason to remember you and feel it was worth the cover charge. :thu:

• Members

Tricks are for kids, as the old saying goes, but by adding them into the compositional/improvisational process, you will create a much more interesting and intriguing vibe, a little tapping, hammering, some pull offs and bends incorporated to the lead after a main chord progression will add a lot if used sparingly between chord changes and rhythym parts. Easier said than done, it takes a lot of concentration/coordination to combine all the above in an intricate and dynamic performance...

• Members

Learn and use it all, just don't over use it or you'd become yesterdays newspaper. When you stop being creative and start using those old tricks too much. Its like a guy telling a joke everyone heard you tell before and knows the punch line to. Instead learn to be creative on the spot and you'll never be short of coming up with your own ideas as you need them.

• Members
So a question for all you electric guitar players - when you take your solo (or for that matter' date=' just play for yourself) do you play riffs or the melody? Do you just noodle around in a minor pentatonic scale or do you actually try to play the notes of the melody of the song?[/quote']

At home I noodle around for fun but also have more serious things I'm working on ,which inevitably will find their way into futue noodling.

I think it's called devolping a style.

In a group context.I'm mostly rhythm

• Members
Not all genres but good ones. Blues Jazz Classical and Pop tunes seem to be the most prominent. I wouldn't recommend metal to anyone wanting to learn music. It's the antithesis of the mindset and technique noobs need to build.

Wow. I agree with a lot of your posting, but this is right up there with 'the world is flat' mindsets. Metal requires one to learn precision, timing, speed, pick control, harmonics, triads, scales, tap technique, the whammy bar, bends, slides, pull-offs and hammer-ons, trills, a horde of pick techniques, muting - all types, it blends other genres, blues and classical for example. So what exactly is it, other than strumming, that cannot be learned from said genre? Subjectivity, I believe, is driving the antithesis of the mindset. :cop:

• Members

Wow. I agree with a lot of your posting, but this is right up there with 'the world is flat' mindsets. Metal requires one to learn precision, timing, speed, pick control, harmonics, triads, scales, tap technique, the whammy bar, bends, slides, pull-offs and hammer-ons, trills, a horde of pick techniques, muting - all types, it blends other genres, blues and classical for example. So what exactly is it, other than strumming, that cannot be learned from said genre? Subjectivity, I believe, is driving the antithesis of the mindset. :cop:

All that to a lethal fault. Incidentally it doesn't blend classical, It borrows some notes. Metal guys will then monolithically bang away with whatever ornamentation suits their poser aesthetic. Not very musical. As an advanced "extreme pursuit" (lucky for me there's an accepted category lol) knock yourself out.

• Members

All that to a lethal fault. Incidentally it doesn't blend classical, It borrows some notes. Metal guys will then monolithically bang away with whatever ornamentation suits their poser aesthetic. Not very musical. As an advanced "extreme pursuit" (lucky for me there's an accepted category lol) knock yourself out.

I take it by 'bang away' you are referencing a certain picking motion primarily used in 'chunky' riffs and breakdowns. All genres have distinctive patterns and styles that separate one from another, be it accenting in blues (some call it making it pop), hybrid picking jazz, etc. That's part of what makes a great scene. Difference and distinction. Not everyone liking and listening to the same thing.

As far as 'poser aesthetic' - correct me if I'm wrong but, do all players of all genres not generally try to fit a certain look? C'mon man, country dudes are most likely going to be doing thw whole cowboy thing, and sporting a ridiculous belt buckle, blues players - fedoras, etc. Playing style - jazz dudes sling the guitar WAY up high, blues - waist level, metal - low slung. I actually prefer to play with the guitar low. And if I'm really into it, on my knee. Not just standing there like a statue in one position. Metal is the extreme form of musical expression. You can express, IMHO, more raw emotion through Metal than any of the other genres. If you're feeling down, some will make a blues song out of it - for metal, you push that crap down and let it out through anger. You use emotion to write most music, only difference is how bad do you want to convey your message? If you want to beat around the bush subtly, jazz is your chosen style. If you want to turn it into self pity, go for blues. Feel like drinking? Country is your avenue. But if you want to tell it straight up, like it is, the bare truth - Metal is the only choice bro.

• Members

I take it by 'bang away' you are referencing a certain picking motion primarily used in 'chunky' riffs and breakdowns. All genres have distinctive patterns and styles that separate one from another, be it accenting in blues (some call it making it pop), hybrid picking jazz, etc. That's part of what makes a great scene. Difference and distinction. Not everyone liking and listening to the same thing.

As far as 'poser aesthetic' - correct me if I'm wrong but, do all players of all genres not generally try to fit a certain look? C'mon man, country dudes are most likely going to be doing thw whole cowboy thing, and sporting a ridiculous belt buckle, blues players - fedoras, etc. Playing style - jazz dudes sling the guitar WAY up high, blues - waist level, metal - low slung. I actually prefer to play with the guitar low. And if I'm really into it, on my knee. Not just standing there like a statue in one position. Metal is the extreme form of musical expression. You can express, IMHO, more raw emotion through Metal than any of the other genres. If you're feeling down, some will make a blues song out of it - for metal, you push that crap down and let it out through anger. You use emotion to write most music, only difference is how bad do you want to convey your message? If you want to beat around the bush subtly, jazz is your chosen style. If you want to turn it into self pity, go for blues. Feel like drinking? Country is your avenue. But if you want to tell it straight up, like it is, the bare truth - Metal is the only choice bro.

You may delete one of those posts. lol

Banging away as in hammering the vibe be it 32nds perc. or pedal point pentatonics. As far as poser aesthetics, looks has no bearing. I mean the musical application. As in the superfluous pinch harmonics and blurred sweeps with no real musical content going on. Doubly redundant nothing IMO. I'm a drummer and playing that many attacks with no evolution is what I do for drills not music. As far as emotion I'd say a guy making a last stand with a machine gun trumps metal and may have considerably more meaning. Not even close to musician food. Like I said knock yourself out.

• Members

I started out on the guitar in 1978, Hendrix / Trower, Richie Blackmore / Deep Purple got me into the Blues and to wrench everything out of just one note. Then Eddie got me into tapping and playing faster. Then in 1980, Ozzy brought Randy Rhoads got me into the Classical / Metal mode of composing, 1983, Yngwie made me want to play even faster, play arpeggios. 1984, Stevie Ray Vaughn made me ( like millions of others, turn back towards the blues.1986, Steve Vai mad me want tap even more insane than before and Joe Satriani open my mind to even more guitar insanity. I found through all my influence, a treasure trove of expression, composition and technique. Plus, I was lucky enough to meet many other guitar players to inspire me to play in a different way.

I love it all, Blues, Classic Rock from the 1960's, 70's, 1980's Metal, New Wave ( U2, Police, Reverend Horton and Billy Idol's Steve Stevens) Jazz / Fusion, Progressive Rock, Neo Classical Metal, Thrash, Speed Metal, Rockabilly ..... I can keep going for ever.

Archived