What Pick Do You Use?

Bucksstudent

• Members

A recent discussion on strings and picks got me wondering... What kind of pick do you use? How often do you play with a new pick?

This pick has been in rotation among other purple Dunlop 1.14 mm picks for years. I still have fresh picks from the same pack that are sitting in the corner of my pedalboard. As you can see, the script has long worn off, and my Rickenbacker looks pretty with the right iPhone camera angle.

IMG_1637_zpsxxjlhnft.jpg

• Members

Green .88 tortex for speed metal stuff and primary go-to, pickboy toxin mediums for slower, chunkier stuff.

As far as how often do I reach for a new one? Pretty frequently, especially during a show. I may go through three during a set. Practice - band setting, I like to have fresh ones ready as well. Practice - home setting, I'll typically use older ones, or those that I don't intend on using for band practice anymore.

d33f27a4e964d065e279eb62b44de463.jpg.d25063acef1b20563d574490a64ba8e8.jpg

90430f6effd37f441cccda1881a367b6.jpg.4063945dd8f00ce1a77710086e3e8591.jpg

• Members
Green .88 tortex for speed metal stuff and primary go-to, pickboy toxin mediums for slower, chunkier stuff.

As far as how often do I reach for a new one? Pretty frequently, especially during a show. I may go through three during a set. Practice - band setting, I like to have fresh ones ready as well. Practice - home setting, I'll typically use older ones, or those that I don't intend on using for band practice anymore.

Interesting... Why do you change during a show?

• Members

I've used Dunlop .60mm nylon picks for ages on acoustic but when I started playing electric a few years ago I realized I needed a heavier pick, possibly due to the lighter strings? I've pretty much settled on the blue Dava Control Pick for electric.

fetch?id=31451392

• Members

Like Gardo, I have a dish with various picks but generally gravitate to dunlop 1.14 in the nylon or tortex. Tortex is faster but with a bit less feel than nylon.

I play my acoustic with my fingers, crossing my index finger and thumb in such a way that my thumb downstrokes and my index finger is upstrokes. I throw in a lot of finger picking too claw hammer style.

• Members

Lately (last year or so) I've developed a hard-on for the Snarling Dog Brain Picks 1.14mm

I finger nail pick more than anything else though.

However, when I want to do some fast tremolo picking (think Pipeline or Misirlou) I'll reach for a Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0 or more probably the 3.0mm. They are less likely to get hung up on the string on the up/down strokes.

Also a bit intrigued these days with the sharp pointed Tortex 1.15.

For fast strumming, I'll use just about any thinner pick around 0.6mm or so

But bottom line, I like the grip feature of the Snarling Dog picks and they seem to have a long wear.

• Members

Oh here it is - .73. Any lighter and they feel a bit flabby, any stiffer and it doesn't maneuver as well for me. I could throw tons of odd picks away (including a custom "surf pick" made of driftwood) and never miss em . And all that crap about better tone blah, blah blah, - never go down that road again.

Archived