Top 10 Rip Off Songs

gardo

• Members

Just to point out... Coldplay settled out of court with Satch. The case wasn't "dismissed."

Andrew Lloyd Weber stole from Pink Floyd, and Roger Waters knew he couldn't do anything about it. Satriani probably caused himself more embarrassment since most Coldplay and Pop music fans have no idea who he is.

Madonna has been pretty classy about her end of things. She let Sonic Youth get away with what they did on the Ciconne Youth album because she thought they were cool. She probably feels the same about Gaga, who has never shied away from her Madonna influence. I think it's pretty cool how Sting got on stage with Bruno Mars instead of making a stink about "Locked Out of Heaven" too.

Meanwhile fans of different artists are ridiculous. Look at Youtube comments for NIN's "Hurt" saying it was originally Johnny Cash's song. The same applies to "Eighties" by the Killing Joke, which is actually inspired by a riff by The Damned.

Funny that Led Zeppelin hasn't sued some artists for certain LZ sounding tunes. Rammstein's "Mein Hertz Brennt" is very, very similar to "Kashmir." There were tons of Japanese bands in the seventies who outright stole LZ's sound. One could argue that LZ took credit for many tunes, but they did write many of their own and quite well.

Andrew Lloyd Weber stole from Pink Floyd, and Roger Waters knew he couldn't do anything about it.

I'm not familiar with that one - which songs? And why couldn't he do anything about it?

Funny that Led Zeppelin hasn't sued some artists for certain LZ sounding tunes.

I think LZ would probably prefer not to start down that road lest they give anyone else ideas about going after them for some of their well-known and very obvious "borrowing."

Thanks. :cool:

From the Wiki link you provided:

Alleged plagiarism

In interviews promoting Amused to Death, Waters claimed that Andrew Lloyd Webber had plagiarized the refrain ("riff") from Echoes for sections of the musical The Phantom of the Opera; nevertheless, he decided not to file a lawsuit regarding the matter. He said:

"Yeah, the beginning of that bloody Phantom song is from Echoes. *DAAAA-da-da-da-da-da*. I couldn't believe it when I heard it. It's the same time signature—-it's 12/8—-and it's the same structure and it's the same notes and it's the same everything. Bastard. It probably is actionable. It really is! But I think that life's too long to bother with suing Andrew f#@king Lloyd Webber."[10]

So in other words, it wasn't that he couldn't do anything about it - it was that he decided not to pursue any legal action - a notable and considerable difference IMO. :)

• Members

Upon watching the video I'm left with the impression that some are reasonable claims and some simply preposterous. Led Zeppelin should have at least penned some different lyrics to "Whole lotta Love" because the melodies are different enough, Huey Lewis was justified IMO, Ghost Busters and Gotta New Drug are incredibly similar as are Surfin USA and Chuck Berry's Sweet Little 16. The Doors got hosed IMO, Hello I Love You may bear some resemblance to All Day all of the Night but the tempo is different and the chorus is totally different. Cat Stevens and Fantasy Records claims are the most laughable of all - give me a break already.

• Members

Yeah, as if it wasn't enough to rape him the first time with the royalties and the catalog. Credence was a fabulous act and should have held out for a deal from one of the more legitimate record companies instead of settling for a local Bay Label that was just representing some local Jazz artists at the time. Pretty sure no lawyer was retained and nobody read the small print on that deal.

Even Tommy James came out better working directly with mob associate Morris Levy (Roulette Records). Again his publishing and royalties were stolen but at least he was given some promotional advances and kept his appearance money. Can't wait for the movie coming out about it directed by Martin Scorcese.

• Members
Compare "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" by the Beatles to "Why Don't You Get a Job" by the Offspring. Some parts are note for note' date=' at least to my ears.[/quote']

That was pretty intentional, I thought. That's been voted as one of the worst Beatles songs in several polls...

• Members

Funny that Led Zeppelin hasn't sued some artists for certain LZ sounding tunes. Rammstein's "Mein Hertz Brennt" is very, very similar to "Kashmir." There were tons of Japanese bands in the seventies who outright stole LZ's sound. One could argue that LZ took credit for many tunes, but they did write many of their own and quite well.

That's probably because they used allot of other peoples music themselves. Their first album I believe has a traditional Folk song on it that's a rewrite of a sing called Hangman. The Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary and dozens of other recorded that song back in the 60's and was pretty popular back then. They just changed it just a little, kept most of the lyrics and the main theme of the song. On those old Folk songs you have no royalties to pay because the original writers are anonymous. Not what I'd call original writing however and to change a traditional folk tune just to fill up an album is pretty lame at best.

I think the early black musicians were ripped off more then anyone else. Elvis got all of his stuff listening to Black performers when he was a kid. He was considered to be a "sanitizer" of that dirty black music racial radio stations would otherwise not play for their white audiences and advertisers. The Beatles, The stones, all the nearly rock bands got their music roots from listening to the blues tunes coming from the US and either recorded them with practically no royalties of took the same songs, added different lyrics and gave it a new name.

I don't think that ever happened to any other genre of music, where music was just taken and little if any recognition to the original artists was given. Someone must have figured them to be too ignorant and or poor to fight the record machine raking in the cash and could care less.

It didn't begin in the 60's though, it began in the 30/s 40/s with the speakeasy's. Many black bands would play in those clubs and white audiences were exposed their music. Then you had allot of white players begin to play jazz and that's what began the Big Band thing. What started as an illegal business extended to the music as well and with the wars and all, people lived for today.

I do think allot of that recognition has since been restored, especially by other famous musicians who get their start off of "borrowing" those blues and rock tunes. Many of those songs probably wouldn't have become so popular otherwise if they had remained in the deep south and not been exploited so its kind of a dual edge sward.

If one guy cant make song popular, does someone else, maybe with better connections or better talents have the right to just take it and cash in on someone else's song without asking and not even acknowledge the man who wrote the song? If that's so we may as well all become communists and give all we own to the state.

• Members

So, I said this: One could argue that LZ took credit for many tunes, but they did write many of their own and quite well.

Which means this: I acknowledge that Led Zeppelin plagiarized music. They also wrote their own music.

I apologize if I wasn't clear enough. I usually just let misunderstandings go these days because it's not worth the hassle of an argument (and I'm not arguing here), but I did originally acknowledge LZ plagiarizing music, but in a conservative manner because, frankly, it gets old and annoying.

• Members
Just to point out... Coldplay settled out of court with Satch. The case wasn't "dismissed."

Andrew Lloyd Weber stole from Pink Floyd, and Roger Waters knew he couldn't do anything about it. Satriani probably caused himself more embarrassment since most Coldplay and Pop music fans have no idea who he is.

Madonna has been pretty classy about her end of things. She let Sonic Youth get away with what they did on the Ciconne Youth album because she thought they were cool. She probably feels the same about Gaga, who has never shied away from her Madonna influence. I think it's pretty cool how Sting got on stage with Bruno Mars instead of making a stink about "Locked Out of Heaven" too.

Meanwhile fans of different artists are ridiculous. Look at Youtube comments for NIN's "Hurt" saying it was originally Johnny Cash's song. The same applies to "Eighties" by the Killing Joke, which is actually inspired by a riff by The Damned.

Satch didn't cause himself any embarrassment, he got what he wanted. From my recollection most people at the time didn't care. I agree with you about LZ.

Archived