why have you never posted your playing on this forum?

mistersully

• Members

yeah... that's right... i'm talking to YOU :)

talking about stuff only goes so far

it doesn't matter if you're not great... what's the point of playing if nobody gets to hear it?

i think it would be good for this place if we spend some time focusing on the playing of these crazy things called guitars

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't post cuz frankly it's like leaving stuff on the curb. Those other concerns like you don't have to be great, I don't live up to my own standards, YTF do I wanna show and tell? And then there's dem opinions. You have a choice of Flames or ignorant compliments (worse IMO) and the one guy who gets it but it wont matter for all the brain damage you get trying to babysit any fans. I should be so lucky. Nope. If i ever release anything, you'll have to stumble upon it and buy it.

• Members

I don't live up to my standards either man, but I look at it like this - I'm probably my own worst critic. What can someone online say that I haven't said to myself? Its like having an idea and not trying to make it work. You have to accept failure to succeed. We're all friends here bro.

• Members

Because some years back when I was starting out I put out a demo, I hadn't registered the copyright anywhere. Later that year It appeared backing a TV commercial. I never got a cent. ( It did however persuade me to do a college course in music law and be more careful )

• Members

Appreciate your sentiments. I suppose sharing can be a form of humility but I don't see any positives in doing it publicly. I'm driven by the stuff I work on but I seem to have no exhibitionist inclinations about it. No special top secret wonder in the works. Just too many issues. Not worth the bother.

• Members

Well, I probably don't post so I don't defame my reputation, lol. It probably is insecurity although I know it's not about that. Besides, if I wanted to show my chops it would be with my lungs.

What's the point in playing if nobody hears it? What's the point in reading if you don't read publicly to a group? I play for me, noboday else and like it that way. I like to jam with mates too but playing in front of a group of people went stale in my 30's.

• Members

As some of you who go to the Acoustic side know, there is a monthly Virtual Open Mic where forumites do post their playing (and singing). Some pretty talented people and some pretty good music. (It happens to be going on right now if you want to take a peak at the other side)

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-42/31444616-vom1t-march-2015

In fact, once a long time ago the Acoustic folks created a "annex" where 34 people did post their music - originals, covers, some great, some not. I still have it in my iTunes library and listen from time to time.

• Members

I've posted on here before and like Billy said, nobody paid any attention. It was just me and a video camera because I still don't own any decent recording equipment. And because of that, I'm at a disadvantage from the gitgo. I also posted an original recording I did with some friends concerning 911 and it caused such a **************** storm I vowed never to do that again either. Like Billy, I play mostly for myself, also jam with friends and do the occasional open-mic when I want an audience. I started too late and have to many other obligations to entertain any other aspirations. If I posted something here again it would only be to display the sound or capabilities of a piece of equipment.

• Members

Plain and simple: I'm not really geared up for recording - I can record but the sound quality isn't great. Overall, I'm just content in keeping my playing to myself and friends these days ... but in time, I do see myself getting some decent recording gear together and maybe showing off a bit. :rawk::snax:

• Members

The bulk of my output is acoustic so anything I might record wouldn't fit. I do, however, participate in the Acoustic Guitar Forum VOM occasionally, which Freeman mentioned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pdl2rhye8p1a3s/mojo%20working.mp3?dl=0

here`s some 3 month old D`Addario strings, recorded on a little DAT player.

I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.

Archived