what neck shape do my guitars really have?

t_e_l_e

• Members

i have

CIJ '68 reissue strat

a 1997 MIA Am. Std Strat

and 1975 Gibson LP Custom

i love the CIJ68 most, from the feel and from the playability, my second favorite is the LP and i can't stand the neck of the MIA, i just feels strange to me

out of curiosity i was a bit googleing about neck shapes and now i'm confused

a real '68 strat has a U shape neck

modern strats supposed to have C shape or even modern C shape what ever that is

i guess the LP has a baseball bat from the thickness

i found a CIJ catalog which states the reissues neck is of oval type,

but is it more of a U or a C or a modern C or some thing different

does C-shape equal C-shape?

so if i was shopping for a new strat or an other guitar or want to built a warmoth one myself with similar neck than the CIJ what should i be looking for?

the sandblasted strats look very tempting, which have a modern c neck, but if the neck is more similar to my MIA (which i don't like) than to the CIJ, this would be a deal breaker,

and of course i'm asking, cause i have no possibility to try locally :(

• Members

Well, I don't know how easy it might be to actually identify the exact shape of your guitar necks, but here's a few pictures I came across that I found a little helpful; you may be able to make cardboard contour templates off your current necks and match them to the pictures.

Neck-Shape-2.jpgNeck-Shape.jpg

This link was pretty cool, too: The Actual Terminology Of Fender's Guitar Neck Lingo. It has this picture:

fenderneck.jpg

And as for LPs, a user on the Gibson forums posted this, his username, BigKahune, is on the bottom of the image:

Neckshapez.jpg

postscript: the blog post the first couple images are taken from is pretty hilarious:

There are big hands and small hands, and even the finger size is not all the same. For Asian people, C shape or CU shape is the most suitable. Whereas, a V shape of big radian is more appropriate for you due to the diversity of individual style.

Besides, it will be the so called regional difference. Make comparison of 2 guitars of same radian and same shape, most people feel that the Japan one will be smaller. That is the typical regional characteristic. Guitar made in U.S. is bold and unconstrained, so it naturally gives people a impression of bigger size.

• Members

thx for the article link, but it did not really clarified it to me

the pictures you have posted (and many more) i was looking at google before, and rather to solve my issue they confused me even more, thats why i started this thread :)

and what is really a mistery to me is, how should someone select the correct neck at warmoth, when there are sooo much options you could select from :D

• Members

T_e_l_e, I can't answer your question directly but I have one of these things that I use when I want to duplicate a neck profile

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Plastic-Contour-Gauge/H7378

I take contours at several points along the neck and make templates that I use while I'm carving. They make a cheaper versions that's about 10 bucks (altho I don't know if you can get it across the pond) - you could simply take some profiles and compare with Preacher's pictures above. I also use a basic digital caliper to get the depth and width, but that little gizmo will give you the exact shape.

• Members
Additionally this link seems to suggest the CIJ '68 RI necks are unusually slim and may be 40mm at the nut...

thx for that link, maybe it is the nut width which makes the "big" difference to the MIA strat neck, i will measure it

and freeman thx such a tool looks very usefull

• Members

ok i did some measurements of the nut width

MIA strat - 42,8 mm

CIJ strat - 41 mm

LP custom - 44 mm

whats interesting, at 12th fret the width of the LP is almost the same as the CIJ, some 10s of a mm thicker than the CIJ strat

(i didn't take notes, so i cant compare it to the MIA strat which is at home and the others are at the rehearsal space *facepalm*)

from the neck shape, the CIJ neck has almost the same thickness throughout until the neck joins the body

whereas the LP neck becomes slightly thicker the nearer it gets to the body, which makes the highest frets less accessible because of the overall thickness...

not sure if the 41 vs 42,8mm nut width alone makes the big difference, why i don't feel home on the MIA strat

but at least i got some insides at what i should look at, when i look at a new guitar or neck in the near future

Archived