Hardtail Strat Bridge?

Belva

• Members

What's out there? I want a HT Strat bridge with vintage string spacing and string thru. I'm thinking of another scratch build Strat. I'm starting here before I go shopping. Wood will prolly be hollow Honduran with a maple cap for my Honduran/RW, USACG, 24&3/4 conversion neck. Looking to put sc size humbuckers in. Two of 'em, bridge and neck. I have a 10K and a 6K GFS and I do like the way they sound. Will the body be shaped like a Strat? Don't know yet.

• Members

Something else I'm considering is a cut off Tele type bridge. I've used the Wilkinson full Tele bridge and it's a good product without spending a bundle. I've yet to get wood (DON'T GO THERE!!!) let alone drill holes, so I'm open to all string spacing possibilities.

Hmmm, maybe mod an astray to fit on the top? A bit of careful cutting, bending an filing..............

• Members

Another vote for the Hipshot.

It doesn't sound like you're going to have an issue with the bridge placement, but if you do have to figure it out, don't just take the recommendations from the StewMac scale length calculator. Or, at least, verify them yourself before drilling the holes.

• Members

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schaller-Non...-/331434402036

This looks interesting. Not string thru, but that doesn't HAVE to be. I don't understand why rollers on a non trem bridge, but I don't see them causing any problems. The string spacing adjustability is different. I suspect initial setup headaches, but once that's done I don't see anything other than the usual intonation tweaks over the course of it's life. Ain't exactly cheap either

• Members

Been there, done that. With the 24&3/4 conversion neck I found using the 25.5 measurements from StewMac and moving the hole placement 1/16" toward the nut puts the bridge purty close. I actually have two of these necks and I'll measure from the saddle/s to the 12th fret on the one in use to verify position. This is another reason for considering the cut off Tele bridge. You can move them saddles a country mile!

• Members
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schaller-Non...-/331434402036

This looks interesting. Not string thru, but that doesn't HAVE to be. I don't understand why rollers on a non trem bridge, but I don't see them causing any problems. The string spacing adjustability is different. I suspect initial setup headaches, but once that's done I don't see anything other than the usual intonation tweaks over the course of it's life. Ain't exactly cheap either

That's a top load string through bridge which allows the use of a Bigsby type Vibrado. Not sure how much friction there would be running the strings through the top load holes but a Tele type Bigsby is very low so it may not be an issue.

Archived