what are some high quality non gibson les paul sounding guitars?

ethereater

• Members

The gibson les paul standard of any era is my favorite guitar. The feel and the tone they posess are what I love about them. I have tried every other conventional guitar type I love them all but nothing beats the sound and feel of a good LP to me.

As much as I would love authentic gibson lp the price for a real one is just too expensive.I feel like I could find a company that makes guitars with LP similar tone and feel at a better price.

I dont care about the body shape just the sound and the neck feel. I also prefer the meatier or heavier LP's over the slimmer bodied versions I see some on some companies designs. I also have no preference over a modern looking guitar or a traditional looking one.

Realisticly I can spend up to $1,500.

Electra guitars look pretty good how are they?

• Members

Epiphone, PRS SE, Edwards, Tokai, Agile, Dean, ESP LTD, and so many more. Les Paul copies at all sorts of prices are available from all sorts of companies. Like Strats, they are many variants and versions. I've had Gibsons, I like my Epiphones, and I'll honestly take a well made Epi over a Gibson.

• Members

I like US Hamers myself, about as true to the Gibson sound and feel as you're going to find. That being said, if I was looking for a bargain on a Les Paul style guitar, I'd look long and hard at this auction http://www.ebay.com/itm/331496805271?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Do me a favor and buy this thing please, because A) I'm a Robben Ford fan B) I can't find a single bad review online or on Youtube for the Espirit, and C) I need another guitar like a hole in the head.

• Members

If you can find a Yamaha AES920 you will find what you are looking for - it is the best Les Paul style guitar I have ever played. You can also look into the Yamaha SGs and some of the older Ibanez Artist models.

0003843_yamaha_aes_920.jpeg

Page05.jpg

• Members

New? Go with some of the Epiphones, or Agiles. Used, the world opens up. I STILL believe that the Japanese copy guitars of the 70's are as good as a "real" Paul.

Electra's from the 70's, some of the finest beasties you will ever play. PLUS if you can find one of the MPC models, you have the added features of modular effects, and a neat 5 way rotary switch. The modern Electras are getting some good reviews, but I haven't touched one yet.

• Members

The ESP LPs yes even the LTD's are really nice. They offer a lot of options stock. Play really nice and smooth with good appointments and finish.

I like my Epiphone LP for the money. Very solid guitar you won;t be ashamed to play.

Penguin made a good point the old Electra Omega is a fine guitar. Some people are inflating the prices some, so be careful there.

• Members
I paid about $1200 USD for my late 70s Yamaha SG2000 last year and it certainly gets me into LP territory.

Yeah, John McLaughlin played a 70s Yamaha SG2000 because he believed them to be better than the Gibson LPs of that era.

If you're willing to pay $1500 that should still get you a pretty good Gibson (if you work a discount). Hamers are good and same is true for PRS, but they're both a bit pricey. Good deals out there on used Hamers though. Some consider them "better than Gibson", but the panache of Gibson holds a bit better resale.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived