Setting the action Old Eyes Edition

gardo

• Members

My eyes aren't what they used to be and accurately settting the action is a bit of a pain. I need a magnifying glass on a stand to read the 1/64 markings on my ruler.. Some people use feeler gauges or a drill bit but how to know when the string is touching without bending? I looked around my garage and foumd a small piece of steel the right thickness ,cut a small notch on one surface and soldered in a very small wire and filed it smooth. The other end is attached to an old lead for a multi-meter. With the other lead contacting the bridge I steady the gauge with two fingers and turn the adjusting screws with the other hand. I raise the action until I loose continuity then lower it untill I make a circut. Fast and accurate.

83dce7e09447bef29ddeca6bfab2c799.thumb.JPG.8add93718f5bea266ebc8e8d40712acf.JPG

• Members

Neat idea but a bit Rube Goldbergish. Plus you'd need one for each string or at least one for the 6th and another for the 1st. With feeler gauges, I know the string is touching without bending when the string isn't deflected by the edge of the gauge. With a drill bit, I can feel resistance. That said, I can still read a ruler if I take my glasses off and I don't normally fool with 64ths in the first place.

• Members
Neat idea but a bit Rube Goldbergish. Plus you'd need one for each string or at least one for the 6th and another for the 1st. With feeler gauges' date=' I know the string is touching without bending when the string isn't deflected by the edge of the gauge. With a drill bit, I can feel resistance. That said, I can still read a ruler if I take my glasses off and I don't normally fool with 64ths in the first place.[/quote']

It actually seems quite easy for me to do it this way. I set all the strings to the same height as per Fender specs and I like the sense of being dead accuate. The fretboard radius should not be an issue either because even if the gauge should rock slightly it will still be resting direcly beneath the string. This is still a new idea and may evolve into something slightly different but I like it

• Members
Ok,, I am in the minority here, but read on a ruler? Measure with gauges? I go by sound. I adjust to where there isn't a buzz. Just me I guess.

There are also people who believe that the string needs room to move. Trower for one says a Strat will only sound good with high action

• Members
. . . I set all the strings to the same height as per Fender specs and I like the sense of being dead accuate. . . . This is still a new idea and may evolve into something slightly different but I like it

Fender setup specs actually generally call for the 6th string to be slightly higher than the 1st (http://www2.fender.com/support/articles/telecaster-setup-guide/) so you need to be able to set the strings to graduated heights across the fretboard. The specs in the link are for a Telecaster but the specs for a Strat are the same. I do a preliminary setup with stacked feeler gauges, making each string a tad higher than the one before, and raise any strings that buzz. YMMV.

• Members

Fender setup specs actually generally call for the 6th string to be slightly higher than the 1st (http://www2.fender.com/support/artic...r-setup-guide/) so you need to be able to set the strings to graduated heights across the fretboard. The specs in the link are for a Telecaster but the specs for a Strat are the same. I do a preliminary setup with stacked feeler gauges, making each string a tad higher than the one before, and raise any strings that buzz. YMMV.

I see what you're sayng but since mine is 9 .5 radius they are set the same. My Strat is also 9.5 so it is the same as well

• Members

I get that the specs say the action should be the same on both sides but I think the specs might be a bit misleading. If the idea is to "split the difference" between the 7.25" radius setup and the 15-16" radius setup, it should be 9/128" (1.8mm) for the bass side and 7/128" (1.4mm) for the treble side for a 9.5-12" radius, with the bass side 1/64" higher. But most of us don't measure in 128ths of an inch so I'm guessing they "rounded it off." Personally, I tend toward higher action with the bass side maybe 3/64" higher than the treble. The action on my "good" acoustic is close to 1/8" on the bass side these days, which most players would consider high. OTOH, it doesn't buzz any more.

• Members

Out of curiousity what height do you end up with?

My Les Paul is around 1.8mm and 1.2mm, and my strat is 1.9mm and 1.3mm. I generally set them so they don't fret out when bending or buzz when hitting open strings. I consider my action pretty low. Low enough for me anyway.

My acoustic is obviously a little higher. I can notice the tone change significantly when raised on my acoustic, far more bass response.

• Members

You want them to taper in as the strings get thinner. I'm comfortable with the below, which start at 2mm. http://fretmd.com/electric-guitar-action-setup/

Metric

E6 – 1.98mm

A5 – 1.87mm

D4 – 1.78mm

G3 – 1.67mm

B2 – 1.63mm

E1 – 1.57mm

Standard

E6 – 5/64 in.

A5 – 4.75/64 in.

D4 – 4.5/64 in.

G3 – 4.25/64/in.