Would appreciate some advice: Just purchased a Duesenberg Multibender - looking for a mid priced lap steel

captmas

• Members

Greetings everyone and thank you for having a look at my first post!

I just purchased a Duesenberg Multibender and am now looking for a suitable lap steel to install it on. I've been reading a lot of posts and looking at a number of lap steels that I might buy for the Multibender and currently I'm thinking the Asher Electro Hawaiian Junior might be a good match with it due to the amount of space available for the install behind the bridge. I know some people using the Multibender have installed them on the Gretsch G5700 import with good results but I would like to get a better lap steel that is in the price range of between $400 and $700 or so.

Also I think I might need a roller nut for use with the Multibender. I'd really appreciate any suggestions on a suitable lap steel for use with the Multibender and any advice that folks here might think helpful concerning the Multibender and installing it.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Joe

• Members

I've built a few steels using the Duesenberg and its a nice little unit. Some thing to consider besides just space to mount it is keep in mind that the string spacing is pretty wide at 11mm. That is fine for picking, but may not match up very well with the pickup.

I'm not a big fan of roller nuts and besides, you're not going to easily find one with the prefered wider 3/8" spacing nor cut so the tops of the strings are all level. I've found that a fairly strait pull headstock design combined with a well cut Delrin / acetal / aka Slipstone nut works great. Delrin is like greased snot and won't suck tone like a roller nut can.

Here are a couple that I've built and one with a "mini" companion bridge to work in an 8 string configuration.

d-005-25.jpg

d-005-36.jpg

sb-003-22.jpg

sb-003-17.jpg

sb-002-33.jpg

• Members

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply and for the helpful advice. I've spoken with Bill Asher and he mentioned that Graph Tech is designing a new nut for him that should work nicely with the Multibender. He mentioned that if I went ahead with the purchase, he would install the Multibender and try it and also a Hip Shot roller nut to see what worked best but he feels that the new Graph Tech will work fine so I wont have to worry about spacing and alignment, which would be a concern for me if I did the install myself. He also mentioned that I'll be able to use different tunings on the Junior with the Graph Tech nut without altering it, which I was hoping for.

Your lap steels are really beautiful. The workmanship and detail you build in are top notch, for sure. Do you happen to build any in my lower price range? If so, what might they entail and what type of time frame does it normally take to build them?

Also, I'm sure they sound fine but I've only heard one example of how they sound in a post on youtube and that was from a fellow using distortion. Are there any examples posted anywhere where you could hear your lap steels clean sounds?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my post and for helping me.

Regards,

Joe

• Members

Hi Joe

My Cub model would be closer fit to your budget, but it does not have enough room on the tail for a Dusenberg. Something like my Southern Belle or Deco model will fit a Dusenberg, but they start about $300 + over your target and have about a 10 week lead time right now. In all honesty, if you want / need something right now, those import Asher's are a decent instrument and if Bill is willing to install and set it up for you, then I think that would be a good path forward. Down the road if you are looking for something a little more special, give me a shout and we can talk about a nice custom for you.

Are there any examples posted anywhere where you could hear your lap steels clean sounds?

Not a lot of video out there, but here is a fun one of my P6 prototype with one of the Lollar Horseshoe pickups.

[video=youtube;twDn-Q7Jvzg]

p6-001-30b.jpg

• Members

Hi Tom,

Thanks for posting the video of your P6. It really sounds and looks great! Bill mentioned he could have the Junior to me in two weeks so I think that is the way I'll go but I will certainly keep your steels in mind for when I can move up to something nicer. I really appreciate your insight and help.

I've been playing acoustic and electric guitar for over 40 yrs and play slide on guitar but only in standard tuning. I've never played a lap steel or played in other tunings but I've always wanted to learn from the time I heard Santo and Johnny as a boy and then of course David Lindley. I will certainly be recommending you to some folks I know who are also interested.

BTW, here's a YouTube link to something I played and recorded for my step-daughters wedding. I would have loved to have had a bit of lap steel on it.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Joe

• Members

Cool song! No doubt it put a smile on her face:)

Bill mentioned he could have the Junior to me in two weeks so I think that is the way I'll go

Sounds like a good plan to me. Like I said, those Jr's are a decent steel and having Bill set it up for you is a big plus. I've no doubt you will have some fun with it, and afterall, its the fun that is what its all about :)

Archived