Frets you can't reach

bebenavole

• Members

Define "no access to them". I play an acoustic with no cutaway about a third of the time and use the frets over the body for soloing. Not nearly as nice as with a cutaway, but this is my fill the whole room without amplification guitar so I prefer non-cutaway.

For electrics I see no reason for poor upper fret access ever. I wouldn't buy one.

• Members
I've always preferred Strat-shaped guitars. Don't know why' date=' just is. Access on a LP is fine for me though.[/quote']

I think that is because the LP was conceptually an electrified accoustic shaped guitar where as the strat was conceptually an ergonomic item on the drawing board out of the Precision Bass which was the completely new concept that seeded it.

as per this thread

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1436335

The irony is that because Leo was not a guitarist he incorporated the advice of players in refining his design. (God bless that comfort contour ! )

• Members

the upper frets on my '75 gibson lp custom are not easy to reach.

yes you can reach them, but you need to change hand position and remove the thumb from the back, so you lose the support of the thumb in pressing strings.

cause when the neck joins the body everything becomes really thick there.

its doable, but not comfortable and you need to practice it

• Members

Okay seriously...for one second...did we answer the OP question? I'm betting it has something to do with the guitar neck needs to be a certain length, and join at the body at a certain place to achieve a certain sound and "feel"?

Its why the make different kinds of guitars...this one sounds and plays like THIS but if you have different needs get THAT.

Archived