NGD - Any Silvertone/ Danelectro fans out there

Dega500

• Members

fetch?id=31428129fetch?id=31428130fetch?id=31428131fetch?id=31428132

I picked up this little beast last Friday. Turns out to be a 58 Silvertone 1303. Plays well despite the frets being really worn. Anyone got some good resources for parts and such? I would really love to get my hands on some of the silver foil binding tape they used on some models.

• Members

Nice ,that thing is loaded with retro goodness. I can't help you out with any parts but still enjoy seeing it.

. Back in the 70's a neighbor had an old Silvertone guitar that he played through an Oahu amp,I always loved the warm tone he got

Enjoy

• Members

You can find tons of Dan electro parts out there. I usually start with EBay. Looks like those tuners need bushings. Here's one vintage one I found right off the bat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-VINTAGE-1950S-1960S-DANELECTRO-SILVERTONE-KAY-HARMONY-GUITAR-TUNER-BUSHING-/181657840553

You missed a whole set here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-VINTAGE-1950S-1960S-DANELECTRO-SILVERTONE-KAY-HARMONY-GUITAR-TUNER-BUSHING-/181621412817?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2a497ad3d1

You can probably go with a new set of tuners and not have the instrument drop in value much. I'd attempt to get the originals first though.

Any other parts you replace I'd be sure to save the originals. The guitar looks to be in good shape and having all original parts is going to get you the best resale value.

• Members

For a while just after college around 1980 I was electric guitarless and a friend gave me his old 60s Silvertone for a loaner.

Man that thing sounded awesome.

I found this old SF Bassman head and 2-15 Fender cab with the chrome center speakers at a pawnshop for $200 bucks and I had me a rig with some true sonic goodness and character.

But the thing had this wide classical neck and 12 frets to the body and was kinda a bitch to play rock guitar on even tho the set up and action was great. And that amp and cab was hell to fit in a Toyota.

After 6 months or so I had my Carvin and traded the head & cab for a 110w 1-12 Peavey Artist. A good versatile rig but no lipsticks into 2 15s sound. Looking back I should have stayed with the Dano/Bassman and started a punk band.

• Members
Check out danguitars.com

I ordered a roll of:

Self Adhesive Body Binding Tape - Cream with factory applied stain for vintage effect

from them last night! Thanks,

How do you think a vintage pearl pick guard would look on the blue. I think the clear with foil backing is going to be impossible to find.

fetch?id=31429278

• Members

The main reason I like Danelectors is because of their different look, especially when it comes to the pick guard, or the headstock like on the one you got. This model has one of the most boring Danelectro pickguards (if you google them, you can see that the "seal" pickguard was just one of their interesting shapes). I still would stick with the original shape in your case though, this guitar is too nice to make it a frankenmonster.

• Members

I agree. Don't be in a hurry to spiff it up. Take some time to research what's vintage correct and then take even more time shopping for the parts you need. Even if it takes 6 months or a year, its going to be better then bastardizing it. Plus it will be worth allot more money.

• 4 months later...

Archived