GC's "lowest price guarantee"

Buttcrust

• Members

to trade in at GC is a no hassle. Yes you'll make less money but if it's something you just want to get some $$ out of then it's a great place. Amps would be ideal for trade in

ebay - shipping hassles, return policies [6 months now i've heard. they have until 6 months to ask for a return], unscrupulous buyers

craigslist - it's a great one way deal. you have to be careful, meet in populated areas. but the it's a smaller group who will see your item. i waited 2 years to sell a guitar, but it finally sold!

gear page thru members - some of the ebay hassles but most of their members are decent and they report on the bad people who get kicked off the forum

so GC does have it's benefits

• Members
They're going to offer you around 50% of the used market value of the gear. . . . This is true of pretty much any music store.

Then I'm probably looking at maybe $100 if I'm lucky. There should be a St. Patrick's Day sale in about three weeks so we'll see.

• Members

On the other hand...you do find out the markup for used items for sale. You know full well they gave the guy peanuts for that piece---so offer a few more peanuts and they might go for it.

Bought a Hamer Echotone import for 20 dollars less out the door than the price tag. The guitar, nice HS case, upgraded tuners and pups for 230. I could probably sell off all the upgrades, have the guitar and cheaper parts and have a free guitar. The 20 bucks off and tax included may not sound like much, I thought it turned out to be a good deal at that price point. A more expensive instrument could net a better discount.

Moral of the story low ball them back!

• Members

I've given up on my Fernandes. I'm just not a Strat guy and I can't get it to intonate properly. I'd have to remove the neck and put it back on in a different position, which sounds like a hassle. I'm also going to try to unload my Roland Spirit 25A amp. And a guy from work gave me a Fender Rumble 15 bass amp with a blown speaker in lieu of gas money; I put a speaker in it and cleaned it up so it's as good as new. I'm hoping to sell some or all of the stuff on CraigsList. The Roland is old and I know Strat copies are a dime a dozen but maybe if I price it low enough...if not, it goes to GC.

• Members
I've given up on my Fernandes. I'm just not a Strat guy and I can't get it to intonate properly. I'd have to remove the neck and put it back on in a different position, which sounds like a hassle. I'm also going to try to unload my Roland Spirit 25A amp. And a guy from work gave me a Fender Rumble 15 bass amp with a blown speaker in lieu of gas money; I put a speaker in it and cleaned it up so it's as good as new. I'm hoping to sell some or all of the stuff on CraigsList. The Roland is old and I know Strat copies are a dime a dozen but maybe if I price it low enough...if not, it goes to GC.

That sounds like almost a 100 bucks worth.

• Members

Well, I've started getting nibbles about the Fernandes, nothing about the amps. One guy wanted to trade a keyboard I don't want. The rest want to know if it's MIJ, as if they could get a MIJ Fernandes for less than twice what I'm asking. I edited the ad so it says "Made in Korea." Maybe that will filter out the "I want something for nothing" types.

• Members

I bought a Schecter Hellraiser from GC. About 3 months later, I had buyers remorse. When to trade it in and they only wanted to give me 40% of the original value. This guitar was in pristine condition and still in the case. I said forget it. I still play it today but not as much as my other guitars. I did however get two great deals on amps. My first one was a Mesa Boogie Road King I. I bought it used from GC. When I got it, it was in pretty rough shape. I fired it up and started getting the burning smell. I called GC and they said bring it in, we will give you a refund. I went back on the website and watched for another one. This time a Road King II came up. Better yet. I bought that and even haggled down 100 bucks and free shipping. Still have it today. I also bought an Egnater Rebel 30 combo. Was able to haggle that one and free shipping. The nice thing about GC is you can buy it anywhere in the US. If you dont like it or there is a problem, you can return it to your local GC.

Archived