Fender Custom Maverick should I sell it?

Dr.J

• Members

I have a Fender Custom Maverick. My mom bought it from my uncle in1980 so I could learn to play ($150). I had no idea aboutits history until I took it to Willies Guitars in St. Paul. I'm thinking of selling it as I could get several better playing guitars for what I could sell it for. It's in good condition with case. Whammy bar still with it. Some scratches. The back strap holder stripped out. Has good sound, tough to keep in tune. Thinking of asking $4000.00. Any thoughts or interest? Would prefer to sell it myself.

• Members

Cool guitar, but I kind of agree with the above. There are probably only a handful of folks looking for this particular guitar, collectors, and it sounds like it's in "player's" condition. Now I can pick up a player's grade 60's Tele or possibly a 50's Jazzmaster for the price you're talking about, and these are more sought after guitars. You could always put it up on Reverb and see what kind of offers you get on it.

• Members

Yes I agree with all that has been said. I know the guitars history. These guitars seem to have a cult following. People that want one really want one. Most recent sales on Ebay/Reverb are around $3800, I could get several nice guitars for this. Its worth a shot.

• Members

The going price on a 1969~71 in mint condition is between $2400 to $3300. Four thousand seems over the top to me on that one. Selling a guitar however is all about what one is willing to pay for it. The fact that there was only 600 ~ 800 made might help. Its not exactly a high demand instrument, just a rare one.

Those models do have one fugly looking headstock though. I think it was designed to be a 12 string and they plugged the extra holes in the headstock when they sold it as a six string. Its likely the reason why so few sold but there's always someone looking for something unique.

• Members

Thats the kind of input I am looking for. Yeah its an odd guitar. I'm in no hurry to sell, you never know who might be interested or what they might be willing to pay for it. There are no current ones for sale when I search online. I'm just putting feelers out to see what it might be worth and if there is any interst in it. When its in tune it does have a decent sound.

• Members

If your looking for a unique, vintage, rare guitar do I have a deal for you. The Fender Custom Maverick. This guitar has a unique history and is heavily sought after by collectors. It features an amazing neck that is roomy and comfortable. Two sets of pickups with 4 settings to provide a variety of sounds. Given there are only 600-800 in the world this is a steal at $4000.00. Comes with original case, and all parts are 100% original!!! Japan are you listening?

Archived