More help with hollowbody

unclejessesmullet

• Members

I made another thread here a couple weeks ago about my quest for a hollowbody. After trying a bunch, I think I've decided on an Epiphone Emperor Swingster. I tried it side by side with a couple Gretsch 5120s and the Gretsch guitars just sounded smaller and less full in comparison, even unplugged. Everyone raved about the Gretsches but I just couldn't get into it. Yknow when it just doesn't "feel right?"

So that aside, here's where I need help. My one gripe with the Swingster is it's only available in two colors right now, it seems, and I don't like either of em. I really like the limited edition black royale but I can't find one in stock anywhere. Plus, even if I could, I'd rather get the newest model and it seems that one hasn't been made since 2012.

So, what are my options here? How much would it cost me to repaint one of these? Or would it be better to just get a really similar guitar to the Swingster and try to add a Bigsby to it? Thanks in advance for any help

• Members

l would never pay to have guitar repainted. I think you have 4 color options: orange, wine red, royale (white/gold) and black royale (black/silver)

the royales were limited series so they may be harder to find. Sweetwater has the white one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...NJhBoCKkrw_wcB

GC has the black one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...89-i2462323.gc

probably way more sources

• Members

They are, to me, quite nice actually. I might put a a roller bridge on, as the high E string pops off the saddle with moderate picking/strumming. I also may cut the saddle slot a little deeper, maybe. That would be the only modification, that I would have done to the instrument.

white2_zpsbd0cfd1d.jpg

white1_zps71356e64.jpg

• Members

Forget repainting it. By the time you go through all that you'll either have a ruined guitar or a guitar that costs as much as a nice used, real Gretsch 6119 that ithe Swingster is styled after.

Personally, I like the Wine Red on that guitar as-is but I would actually take an Ibanez AFS75T over it. I am not a big fan of the Electromatics but i do love the real Gretsches. I think the Ibanez is a good compromise for the price.

Archived