ID and parts help

kklowell

• Members

Hi, I'm new here and found this site while searching for info on a guitar I have in my basement. Said guitar was possibly my first ever quitar, which I bought when I was 14 (52 years ago) or my brother's first, which would make it around 25-30 years old.It's missing the bridge and I can't find a picture of the same guitar on the web to see what I need to find. Can anyone here help? A good id on the thing would be sweet too. So far I know it's a Kay. The picture shows it in its "in the basement uncleaned for many years" state.

22eeeec24adbb1a495961aeac479f42c.thumb.jpg.07fa1e0e4bc1cac18906599afaf8aeb3.jpg

• Members

Thanks bieke and badpenquin...that is identical to the one I have. Now, I need to find the top of the bridge, which is the only missing piece. As this appears to be a 60's model, I'm quite sure it was my first guitar, which I bought from Ames department store in Bangor Maine, when I was 14. I'll be 66 in June, so it's certainly vintage. Even though I expect it has no value (I think it was $35 new) I plan on restoring it just because it was the first one I ever played.

• Members

Hi kklowell, don't get too excited, because I may have thrown it out, but I might have the top of that bridge lying around somewhere.

As luck would have it, someone replaced the bridge on my old Hofner Colorama with a Kay or Teisco one, and I ended up keeping the base and making a new top. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://diystrat.blogspot.com/2012/01/hofner-colorama-ii-restoration-project_30.html

Send me a PM if you want me to have a hunt for it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

It lives! The part that Irishstu sent me arrived this morning. Tonight I did a preliminary cleaning and put the vintage Kay strings on that I got from a vendor on ebay and then I plugged it in. Amazingly, this old guitar works with no hum or buzz.

Thanks again, Stu, you're a great guy! This old man has his first guitar back in playing form and is very, very happy.

8b529f98cde51aba767314c8c6c52b2c.thumb.jpg.4fb0631d3d873812445bc18a4b122bab.jpg

Archived