Fender sand blasted strats are looking pretty cool

slvrsrpnt

• Members

Coincidentally I was just looking at those this morning during a short stroll through the Sweetwater Electric Guitar Gallery.

Indeed, they got me itching, But I'm really pretty much "gear saturated" right now. But I was also noticing the weight on those models. They are all fairly light in weight which would make me guess they're using some decent quality ash (since the heavy Northern Ash Strats are usually a pound or so heavier on average). Good pickups in them too.

I'd think that with a little haggling, one of those would be a nice acquisition. But I'd like to see one in the flesh though. That hand rubbed Strat version (like a satin honey finish) that Musicians Friend is selling these days for around $800 is also a tempting deal. And I actually saw one of those in a store before seeing them on line, and it was the only one guitar I was drawn too.

• Members
I don't know. With the graining of the wood that pronounced' date=' it looks fake. And I am pretty sure I DON'T want to feel the wood grain under my arm when playing. Seriously, I think Fender is copying Gibson BFG from 15 years ago.[/quote']

Good point. I was assuming there would be filler and the poly smooth?

• Members

Good point. I was assuming there would be filler and the poly smooth?

Look in the shadows of the pic, you can see the grain rise and fall.

All in all, looks cool. would rather have rosewood, as mentioned. And the blasted volume knob,...ah, why couldnt ibanez have made one first?

• Members
Seriously' date=' I think Fender is copying Gibson BFG from 15 years ago.[/quote']

20 or more years before the Gibson Les Paul BFG, Warwick was busy sandblasting their ovangkol bodies to make the grain stand out.

The finish that seals the ovangkol wood is nothing more than beeswax.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThF0zoP2B031unEmDRW3FZMKgs84wDiuvrHAZpguVCHlS-G8SN1A

p43901g-10425e051bfd90ad2414082abdc1ea7e.jpg

• Members

Well, a couple days ago I showed my wife a pic of one on the Sweetwater Gallery, and while she doesn't like red guitars like I do, she liked the blue and out of her mouth came the words "buy it".

So guess what I did?

fetch?id=31395862

As I said to my Sales Engineer at SW, "It reminds me of a Van Gogh".

And yes, it will look better with a dark rosewood or ebony board with a vintage tint on the exposed maple, and Warmoth would be happy to do that, but I'll suffer with the maple for now.

But they made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so this will be shipping out to me tomorrow. Fingers crossed, in that, I hope I like it. I'm usually a little leery of ash strats (often too bright for me) but at 7 pounds 2 ounces, this strat should have some decent vocal qualities to it, i.e. it shouldn't sound like some of those dense heavy northern ash strats that they used to call "light ash" that unfortunately only referred to their color. It's bound to be a bit of a conversation piece when I show up to practice with this one. Maybe I'll finally get enough people to testify that I should be committed!

fetch?id=31395864

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
that's awesome' date=' enjoy that piece of art. Looking forward to your review when she arrives![/quote']

Well, the guitar arrived last Wednesday, so I'm about 4 days with it in my hands.

First, a bit of caution. Although it's obvious in the pictures that these guitars have a textured surface from the sand blasting, that might be a turn off for some (if their not a hoarder/collector) since it doesn't feel smooth against the inside of your forearm. Usually I don't notice that, but I could see if someone was doing a long set in a hot sweaty bar with a short/sleeveless shirt, they might scratch their heads wondering "why did I buy this thing". But for me, I did buy it for the unusual aesthetics and as an electric guitar lover.

Playability = Just fine. No complaints. This one came set up nicely from Sweetwater. Although the plastic on its pickguard looked like it had been saving it from more than its fair share of demo picking.

Appearance = Nice. Doesn't look quite as rich as the Gallery photos just because the colors in the flesh are a bit muted in that "satin finish" type of way, i.e. slightly more pastel looking than in the darker pics above. But still a nice looking piece and overall gives off a bit of a cobalt blue look.

Tone:

That's the important part, right? Well, mine was fairly light at 7lbs 2oz, but most of these are all pretty light, i.e. under 8lbs. For me that was a good sign that they weren't using a heavy slab of northern ash. I mean, I didn't give it a DNA test, but it does feel and sound closer to swamp ash than northern ash. So what you end up with is a strat that has that "swamp ash body" kind of tone. It's fairly vocal sounding, slightly "balsa-wood-core-ish" if you know what I mean. (Think LP Studio Lite Chromyte block) Or maybe I should compare it to the tone of basswood bodied guitars. So it doesn't have the deep resonant of tone of some of my heavier higher-end strats that also have good resonance, but it does naturally create a bit more of that human vocal kind of tone. Good for that bluesy "woman bitchin at yo ass" kind of blues riffin. But more importantly it does not have that ice-picky-off the top of the guitar-tinny-bright sound that can come off of some less expensive heavier ash bodied models. This one indeed seems like it fits the pedigree of the "Specials" within the USA model line - mean that as a compliment. I think if someone were looking for a strat, I'd actually aim them towards the American Special model (with the Texas Specials and an alder body, which I generally prefer) but I do like the tone of these American Standard pickups on my sand blasterd. They are well balanced and a good fit for this guitar's build.

The guitar did not disappoint. Wasn't blown away either, but I'm diggin it and I'd buy it again.

• Members
Well, a couple days ago I showed my wife a pic of one on the Sweetwater Gallery, and while she doesn't like red guitars like I do, she liked the blue and out of her mouth came the words "buy it".

So guess what I did?

This can be a good strategy. One time I wanted another guitar so I found pictures of several different colors and showed them to my wife. I told her if I would buy one sometime what color do you think looks best. She chose black and I told her she was right ,that really is a good looking guitar. She said well if you like it that much why don't you buy it

I think the blue is cool Enjoy

• Members

This can be a good strategy. One time I wanted another guitar so I found pictures of several different colors and showed them to my wife. I told her if I would buy one sometime what color do you think looks best. She chose black and I told her she was right ,that really is a good looking guitar. She said well if you like it that much why don't you buy it

I think the blue is cool Enjoy

Thanks. And yeah, getting the wifey buy-in is helpful, but sometimes I'd rather she just hit with the frying pan. I'm good at buying guitars, but I haven't gotten too far off the starting line when it comes to dispositions,

• Members
Does look good' date=' don't know if I like the blue, a brown burst would look really good.[/quote']

The red was more contrasting to me, but I did the blue since the wife liked it better. She's got something against red guitars, but often states "you have too many red guitars". Funny thing was, I already had a Fender Bad Boy Blue Strat which is a cobalt blue color with black plastic. So from a distance, that one and this sand blasterd look quite similar in hue. And yes, a brown burst would look rather dramatic.

Archived