I'm complaining again...

billybilly

• Members

This time it''s about consistency between pickup brands and their wiring colors. Can we make them the same? Can hot and ground be all the same color and not out of phase? Is that too much to ask? It's like buying a car battery and having red suddenly negative. It's stupid.

The end.

• Members

Single coils aren't so bad - if it has the weird out of phase sound when combined with other pickups, just swap the wires. Humbuckers, with their multiple tendrils of wires, can be a pain if you're not a walking encyclopedia of the various brands and their corresponding color codes. Homogenization is something that should happen - there has to be an industry standard.

• Members
Single coils aren't so bad - if it has the weird out of phase sound when combined with other pickups, just swap the wires. Humbuckers, with their multiple tendrils of wires, can be a pain if you're not a walking encyclopedia of the various brands and their corresponding color codes. Homogenization is something that should happen - there has to be an industry standard.

Well, one would hope there will someday be an industry standard but I'm not holding my breath.

• Members
This time it''s about consistency between pickup brands and their wiring colors. Can we make them the same? Can hot and ground be all the same color and not out of phase? Is that too much to ask? It's like buying a car battery and having red suddenly negative. It's stupid.

The end.

If you buy a quality guitar in the first place you wouldn't need to change the pickups.

Next time buy a quality guitar.

:angry39:

• Members

Oh my.... a post that ACTUALLY has to do with guitars! Les Paul be praised!!

I agree that the wiring codes should be standardized, but I doubt it's going to happen. Some guru pickup winder will put out a media blitz that their picks are better, because of their orange hot wire, is slightly hotter than Duncan's black wire.

• Members
Oh my.... a post that ACTUALLY has to do with guitars! Les Paul be praised!!

I agree that the wiring codes should be standardized, but I doubt it's going to happen. Some guru pickup winder will put out a media blitz that their picks are better, because of their orange hot wire, is slightly hotter than Duncan's black wire.

Orange caps give the best tone so it only makes sense that insulation colour affects tone. Fact! Scientific!

I feel a thread coming on.

• Members

The end.

Why stop there? I wish there was some standardization regarding string spacing at the nut and at the bridge. There's the vintage trem spacing (2 & 7/32nd) as opposed to standard 2 & 1/8th. And anybody who can go from a Gibson with broad string spacing at the nut to an original Duo Sonic or an original cheapy Squier without missing a beat has got my respect.

• Members

It really is an unnecessary pain in the butt. I put some Seymour Duncan '59s in my Ibanez and although SD has a variety of wiring diagrams on their site, they didn't have one for my particular setup (two humbuckers, regular 5 way switch, one volume and one tone control). So I had to use a DiMarzio wiring diagram and a color code conversion chart. Good grief.

• Members

Why stop there? I wish there was some standardization regarding string spacing at the nut and at the bridge. There's the vintage trem spacing (2 & 7/32nd) as opposed to standard 2 & 1/8th. And anybody who can go from a Gibson with broad string spacing at the nut to an original Duo Sonic or an original cheapy Squier without missing a beat has got my respect.

Be serious. I have a hard time going from a Squier VM Jazzmaster to my 70's Matsumoku Ibby Tele - which is TINY.

Why is standardization so out of the question for such a large industry? It would have a lot of benefits for all involved ....

Archived