Question about Gibson 335s...

hrcnsfan

• Members

Has Gibson's line of 335s gone through ups and down in the quality of their builds?

I'm going to get one with a budget of around $2500 and don't mind buying used. I'm curious to know, from those who have more experience with them throughout the years; Is there an era I need to be aware of? Would I find a better built instrument (generally speaking) from a number of years ago as opposed to what I might find in the new market like this one? Thanks in advance.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ESDS14RDNH

• Members

Personally, I prefer used. I despise that break in period of adjusting, re-adjusting, and waiting for it to become right. It's the same with any guitar though. Play it, and let your hands and ears decide. Some people hate the Norlin period of Gibson, 70'0r so, thru the mid 80's I believe, but I find some good guitars, that play and sound wonderful. YOU be the judge, despite any opinion you may get from us.

• Members

Does it have to be a Gibson?

Some of the Made In Japan Yamahas and Ibanez models are, IMO, superior to the Gibsons (and more consistent in quality from instrument to instrument) without the big Gibson price tag. In the late 70s and early 80s The Japanese manufacturers were still trying to prove they could do it while the American builders were stamping them out to meet the demand that was built on reputation.

yamaha-sa2200-brown-sunburst-578764.jpg

2630small.jpg

If you could find one of these instruments then you would be getting much more guitar for your money

Tokai also made some very nice 335 style guitars.

• Members

I'm a big 335 fan. my 69 ES335TD was my main guitar for decades. still is a go to piece in some situations, like all makers gibson goes through ups and downs in build quality, material quality etc. the new ones I've played lately have been very good, but spendy. since i got my gretsch 6120 my gibsons and fenders feel like toys to me now. not that thats a bad thing.

try a gretsch cheapomatic 5124. you might be surprised at how much bang for the buck the cheapomatics are.

but if you got 2500 you can afford a 6120 or other 6000 series Gretsch.

• Members

I dunno, but I can say that I have a 1991 ES335 that I didn't feel lived quite up to the hype. But seeing as it only cost me $900 used (in good condition) I'm happy enough with it. But my initial impressions were a bit more favorable with my 339. Different strokes.

Archived