Sell me or sway me in either direction

audiosalvage64

• Members

Hi all, I have a choice to make but first a little background. I have a couple of upgraded MIM strats which I' happy with and a hand wired Marshall 2204 clone with I' also fond of. I am considering either an american strat or a Fender deluxe BF or Tweed amp. I've never had an american strat so I really don't know the difference. Also I love my distorted amp sound but lack a cleanish element in my sound. I need some input from yous guys and gals to help me decide.

• Members

Your MIM Strats are probably fine. I'd go for the amp if it was me.

Between the Blackface and Tweed amps, it depends on how/what you play.

Generally speaking, Blackface amps have more clean headroom, but their overdrive is less, um, "organic" than the Tweeds. Tweeds are wonderful for dirty-ish blues and rock -- think stuff like early ZZ Top and Larry Carlton on Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne" -- but aren't as bright and ringing on the cleans. But holy crap that overdrive is gritty and beautiful.

Blackface combos in general have the gorgeous ringing Fender clean in spades and can go clean louder, but need help from pedals to match the overdrive sound of the Tweeds. They take pedals better than Tweeds.

Short answer: if you want to play raunchy and don't use pedals, get the Tweed. If you play more clean and don't mind using pedals for your hairy OD, go Blackface Deluxe.

• Members

On the Strat side of things, my experience might be helpful. I went through a few MIMs to find the two I have now, which I'm very fond of. On the surface, they might seem on the cheapy side, both being from the short-lived 90's Fender Squier Series, but after a few mods - trem block, and pickup swap being the most salient - I am extremely happy with them. Love the necks, the action attainable, the vintage style frets and the tones - both sport two piece bodies. But I thought I was missing something so I went all in on an 89 American. Great guitar in every way, but the switch from vintage frets to medium jumbos has proven to be troublesome and that extra fret still goes largely unused. Short answer - I like my heavily modded MIMs just as much and play them more because of my preference for vintage style frets.

If you are looking to expand your sound, I agree that adding a Fender or Fender style amp may be the best place to look.

• Members

I also have a MIM Fender Squire series and the Neck and body are both MIA so like Wank said your guitars are fine. If you want Fender clean I would go BF and you can find used Twin Reverbs, Super or Pro cheaper ($ 400-$650 range ) where a Used Deluxe will cost you $700 +.

• Members

The Fender line might not be the way he wants to go. I personally think the King of Clean, is the Roland JC series of amps. True, distortion sounds as if the amp was broken, but the clean, OMG the cleans... are worth lugging two amps for a show. I've seen the JC120 for as little as 450 (USD) up to around 600 used. Might be worth .looking into.

• Members
The Fender line might not be the way he wants to go. I personally think the King of Clean, is the Roland JC series of amps. True, distortion sounds as if the amp was broken, but the clean, OMG the cleans... are worth lugging two amps for a show. I've seen the JC120 for as little as 450 (USD) up to around 600 used. Might be worth .looking into.
I haven't had that experience with the ones I've tried. Very clean, yes, but there's something missing to my ears. I prefer the more vocal and "bouncy" tones that tubes give.

• Members

I play my friend's 2013 Fender American Deluxe HSS Maple and if I needed another guitar it would be the first one I would buy.

I have an EC which is equally a pleasure to play. His MIA Standard Strat is okay but it doesn't come close in terms of feel or sound or flexibility. I just sits on his stand looking lonely.

• Members

Deadest guitar I have ever owned was a 01 MIA strat.

Tweed amps are not much for cleans.

Not sure how much power you need but you could try out a Deluxe reverb with a pedal.

I would buy a MIM classic series 60s lacquer before I would buy another american standard strat.

• Moderators
Go for an amp

A good amp makes everything better

Agree. IMO, a good amp is the starting point, although one persons good amp isn't everybodies good amp, and the answer is usually valve\vacuum tubes in some way, or expensive modeller, ie Kemper or Axe-FX.

Finding good solid state amps these days is difficult, although not for bassists

• Members

I only consider tube amps. I have a mustang amp which is great for bedroom practice. I need something to do cleans that will mesh with my marshall. The Deluxe sounds good but does it have to be super loud to get the right vibe? The 5e3 also good but can it reach higher volumes without getting too farty?

• Members

The Deluxe is in a sweet spot, volume and headroom-wise, for gigging, IMO. However, if you're gigging a half stack, you may want to consider a head form factor and get something like a Bassman, Dual Showman, or Super Sonic. Then get a Radial Headbone to switch them? Just a thought. I tend to agree with the masses here. If you have a couple of strats that you like, I'd stick with those. If you were to get another guitar, I would maybe start exploring something totally different...

• Members
I only consider tube amps. I have a mustang amp which is great for bedroom practice. I need something to do cleans that will mesh with my marshall. The Deluxe sounds good but does it have to be super loud to get the right vibe? The 5e3 also good but can it reach higher volumes without getting too farty?

This is the problem I deal with. If more is better then too much is just right.

It's like driving a Corvette and not unleashing the power that's right there under your foot begging to roar and push you back in the seat..

You've just got to open it up sometime and then I'm hooked.

• Members

Keep your MIM strats. They're good guitars, especially since you've upgraded them. I know at least 5 guys that have bought MIM strats as backups for gigs and ended up playing the MIM's all the time after changing out the pickups. All but one has sold their MIA strats ad bought 2 more MIM's with the money and changed the pickups in them.

• Members

I would recommend the Deluxe. You can dirty it up with pedals if need be but it's difficult to clean up a dirty amp and still get some power out of it.

The Deluxe is also portable where the Twin, Super Reverb and JC-120 (all really good amps) are a pain in the **** to haul around. Big heavy amps are no longer required in the 21st century.

Archived